Anna's Hummer

Posted by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Far West Texas has documented 17 species of Hummers - mostly in Davis Mountains - Some even can hang in all winter - I have several Anna's at my feeders and I know of at least 5 at a friend's place were I maintain feeders - we hit 23 F at my house this morning. Here is a full adult male I photographed yesterday - would have liked better light but he refused to cooperate - But this gives you an idea on how nice this bird is even in winter
D850, 400mm f/2.8 with 1.4 TC - no flash - ISO 320, 1/320 sec @ f/7.1
This species along with Rufous then to hang in the longest in winter even though Broad-bills will also over winter sometimes
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

Posted by:
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023

by Ron Day on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Extraordinary detail and lovely iridescence, Michael. It's amazing they hang around with temperatures that low.

by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Ron Day wrote:Extraordinary detail and lovely iridescence, Michael. It's amazing they hang around with temperatures that low.
Ron thanks for comment - hummers are special birds - I help several banders so I get to see these birds up close and personal- Hit 23 F this morning and sugar water was almost solid - but some was still not frozen solid - I have 6 feeders up - early but not before first hummer was up - I pulled feeders down and warmed them - Have seen at least 4 Rufous this morning at my house and not certain but at least that many Anna's - Have 7 other feeders in more remote locations - those hummers just had to deal with semi frozen feeders and slow insects until sun warmed them up - is in 50's this afternoon and only light freeze in morning then looks like no freezing for a week at least
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Ron Day on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
mlgray12 wrote:
Ron Day wrote:Extraordinary detail and lovely iridescence, Michael. It's amazing they hang around with temperatures that low.
Ron thanks for comment - hummers are special birds - I help several banders so I get to see these birds up close and personal- Hit 23 F this morning and sugar water was almost solid - but some was still not frozen solid - I have 6 feeders up - early but not before first hummer was up - I pulled feeders down and warmed them - Have seen at least 4 Rufous this morning at my house and not certain but at least that many Anna's - Have 7 other feeders in more remote locations - those hummers just had to deal with semi frozen feeders and slow insects until sun warmed them up - is in 50's this afternoon and only light freeze in morning then looks like no freezing for a week at least
That's amazing!

by Carol Clarke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:28 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Gorgeous colours and such sweet detail on this little beauty Michael, interesting information too. They sound tougher than I thought!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by antonoat on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm
antonoat
Forum Contributor
That's a Wow! from me , beautiful photo and what a stunning bird.
cheers
tony
See my photos at...www.pbase.com/wildoat

6 posts |