Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Posted by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I have not posted for a while - but finally got my new D850 and had to test it - have not even fine tuned my lens yet - but did get some nice shots of my almost pet ladder-backs that feed in my side yard all the time - so far w/o much testing this is really a sweet camera

D850, Iso 400, 1/500 sec, f/10 with 400/2.8 w/ 1.4 TC
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

Posted by:
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023

by david fletcher on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:50 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
lovely light and details on this Michael
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Lillian Roberts on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:53 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
That's a really nice image of a sweet bird on an iconic Texas perch! I wonder if he ever let you get a shot with the bill out of the shadow? I might have been tempted to tone down the shadows just a bit. But of course you were more interested in what the camera could do than on PS-ing the shot. I'm not familiar with that camera, but it seems to be up to speed!
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by Ron Day on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Nice set up to have in your side yard, Michael. Lovely image of the woodpecker in beautiful lighting.

by James Vellozzi on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
For each new body is it required to fine tune the lens with it? May I ask how that is done?
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
James Vellozzi wrote:For each new body is it required to fine tune the lens with it? May I ask how that is done?
I use LensAlign - where follow all the procedures  an shoot a target - then soft ware analyses photos and gives new set of photos to take and then that gives you gives you final setting in fine tuning set for camera - this only applies to DSLRs and if I understand it correctly it basically is fine tuning difference it light path to sensor vs. going to detector through mirror - I may be totally wrong here - EJ is master here and he does this himself - anyway camera stores setting for each lens including lens with TC's attached - so this can be quite a bit of work - but when focus is critical it is worth it - but tons of pictures are taken without fine tuning including this one - bases on what I hve experienced and read some lens will need less and usually some especially with TC's need it more

Hope this helps
Michael L. Gray

by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Lillian Roberts wrote:That's a really nice image of a sweet bird on an iconic Texas perch!  I wonder if he ever let you get a shot with the bill out of the shadow?  I might have been tempted to tone down the shadows just a bit.  But of course you were more interested in what the camera could do than on PS-ing the shot.  I'm not familiar with that camera, but it seems to be up to speed!
You are correct about the shadows including the birds back - but I was in hurry and actually needed to reposition myself to get less side lighting - I did tone down shadow some in LR and PS.

I have at least three Ladder-backs coming in and they really have got where they don't pay much attention to me - so yes I should be able to get these birds almost to full frame and get in position to keep shadows at bay - just means I have to take the time to do it correctly - but I you guessed I was really interested in seeing differences between my old D810 vs new D850. Nikon D850 is new upgrade of D810 and shot a 47 MP image and with Grip will do 9 fps. Uses same focus system as Nikon flagship D5 - really sweet camera
Michael L. Gray

by Carol Clarke on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Looks good to me Michael, lovely shot, sweet detail and beautiful light.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

8 posts |