Crested Caracara

Posted by Gene Gwin on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
Photo taken at Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas.

Nikon D810, 50mm lens, 1/800 sec at ISO 800.

Played around with a 50mm lens photographing Raptors.  This image is almost full frame.  It was an overcast and gloomy day, so the photo quality is not as good as I would like, but the photo does look better if you click on the image.  When I get some time during a sunny day, thought I'd give it another try.  Welcome any suggestions by people who use wide angled lens for this type of photography.  Thanks.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Not bad, Gene! The bird has nice detail and sharpness and is close to the camera. Not sure what type of information you are looking for, but if you want your background in sharp focus along with the bird, you will need to determine and set the "hyperlocal distance"on your lens. 

by Gene Gwin on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:55 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:Not bad, Gene! The bird has nice detail and sharpness and is close to the camera. Not sure what type of information you are looking for, but if you want your background in sharp focus along with the bird, you will need to determine and set the "hyperlocal distance"on your lens. 
Ron, Thanks.  I'll have to photograph both ways--the background in good focus--and not in good focus--to see which one looks better.  It is kind of fun photographing them at such close range using a remote trigger.  My thinking is that if the bird is very sharp, that the background will not be that important.

3 posts |