Playing in the air

Posted by overonning on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Nikon D750, Tamron 150-600; 600mm, ISO 360, F6.3, 1/1250 

Two common kestrels playing with eachother in the air. I really wish I could get closer, this is cropped around 100%. They were at a distance of 300-500 metres away, therefore the bad quality.
Believe The Impossible

Posted by:
overonning
Forum Contributor

by David Salem on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm
David Salem
Forum Contributor
Welcome to NSN. I really like the playful poses on these two but they are just to far away to get a quality image.
They also look a bit underexposed. Remember when shooting birds in the bright sky, you should be about 1-1/3 stops overexposed on the cameras meter.
The camera is wanting you to expose for the whole scene, but you really only want to expose the subjects correctly. Hope this helps and keep em coming
COME JOIN ME FOR A CUSTOM PERSONALIZED RAPTOR WORKSHOP   NOV-MAR 2019/2020.    PLEASE PM ME TO ENQUIRE ABOUT PRICING AND AVAILABILITY! 

by Nate Chappell on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Nice action. I think the bird in the lower right is a different species, probably a Sparrowhawk, the banding on the tail is very different.
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

by Ron Day on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Welcome. Nice image. David offers some good advice.

by overonning on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 am
overonning
Forum Contributor
Thanks, David, Nate and Ron!

David; Yes, they were too far away to get a nice and sharp shot, unfortunately. I really appreciate your advice, and I will try to do more of that in the future. I have just experienced that the bright sky is getting burned out when overexposing. I will try to get a little closer next time I'm visiting this place. I have seen your pictures and they look spectacular, you take pictures that I dream about to take.

Nate; I'm not sure which bird that is... But they were playing and flying like acrobats for a long time, alongside with 3-4 ravens. It was really fun to watch! I don't think they were chasing each other.
Believe The Impossible

5 posts |