Painted Bunting--Female

Posted by Gene Gwin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Photo taken at Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas June 24, 2017.

Nikon D810, 300mm lens, 1.4 TC, 1/1250 sec at f/10, ISO 640.

Click on image for better detail.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Denis55 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:40 pm
Denis55
Forum Contributor
Sweet back pose and details Gene!
The flower is a nice touch!

by James Vellozzi on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:47 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
So they are still around.. I feel like I should come down.. beautiful shot here.. Is it hot there
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Gene Gwin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
James Vellozzi wrote:So they are still around.. I feel like I should come down.. beautiful shot here.. Is it hot there

James,
Yes, they are still around.  If it was me, I would plan on coming down next year as soon as you can after school is out.  This would provide opportunities for a more birds with better plumage.  The only summer only birds are the Groove-billed Ani and Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  However, neither one of them are real reliable.

by ugolino on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm
ugolino
Forum Contributor
Great shot.
To me, the flower looks very UN-natural.
Apologies for the criticism. I think we should be honest about our comments. I admire your photos very much, but i was under the impression that this site was very much about nature, not about studio photography. 
Best, Ugolino
Working on a personal website.... Comments and advice welcome. 
Visit at http://ugolino.zenfolio.com/

by sirianul on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:50 pm
sirianul
Forum Contributor
ugolino wrote:Great shot.
Apologies for the criticism. I think we should be honest about our comments. I admire your photos very much, but i was under the impression that this site was very much about nature, not about studio photography. 
Best, Ugolino

I agree with the Ugolino comment but I have to mention that the bird is very nice and sharp.

Peter Tamas (sirianul)

by Gene Gwin on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Best, Ugolino
Ugolino, I truly appreciate your comments because this site should generate conversation to improve everyone's photography.  You did so politely and appropriately.   Generally I would not add a sunflower where it obviously does not belong.  I just wanted some additional color to a photo with a bird that has very little of her own.   Here's something for you to think about:  How many photos are posted on this site of birds using food, water, and a perch while photographing from a hide or their vehicle?  How many photos of birds are posted adding canvas or maybe even adding different body parts.  How many photographs of large game, specifically Africa, are taken while riding in a vehicle specifically designed to photograph the animals that live in a large fenced area?  How many Hummingbird photos are taken using multiple flashes to generate sufficient shutter speed to achieve a shot of their choice?  How many macro shots are taken after catching an insect and placing the insect in a refrigerator to slow their movement to allow maybe a 100 shot stack?  So I guess the question really is this:  what should be considered a nature shot vs. a studio shot?  This is definitely a subject worth addressing and I hope others will give their opinion.  I agree with you 100% that this site should be about providing honest feedback and I thank you for yours.     

by ugolino on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 am
ugolino
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:
Best, Ugolino
Ugolino, I truly appreciate your comments because this site should generate conversation to improve everyone's photography.  You did so politely and appropriately.   Generally I would not add a sunflower where it obviously does not belong.  I just wanted some additional color to a photo with a bird that has very little of her own.   Here's something for you to think about:  How many photos are posted on this site of birds using food, water, and a perch while photographing from a hide or their vehicle?  How many photos of birds are posted adding canvas or maybe even adding different body parts.  How many photographs of large game, specifically Africa, are taken while riding in a vehicle specifically designed to photograph the animals that live in a large fenced area?  How many Hummingbird photos are taken using multiple flashes to generate sufficient shutter speed to achieve a shot of their choice?  How many macro shots are taken after catching an insect and placing the insect in a refrigerator to slow their movement to allow maybe a 100 shot stack?  So I guess the question really is this:  what should be considered a nature shot vs. a studio shot?  This is definitely a subject worth addressing and I hope others will give their opinion.  I agree with you 100% that this site should be about providing honest feedback and I thank you for yours.     
Gene,
Personally, I think that one should simply be straighforward about the conditions of the shot, in the first post. 
I am not lillywhite. I have been (especially when I started) in vehicles in Africa, India...where you are not allowed or cannot walk, and I have used hides in Europe. The pleasure derived from these shots is never quite the same, and they do not create really great memories. In general I choose not to share these photos on a forum as they do not convey what wildlife photography means for me. The more important word is Wildlife, not Photography.
Walking in some areas is very dangerous, and not everyone can organise (if allowed) to be accompanied by an armed ranger. I also understand that a vehicle safari is a great experience that creates awareness about nature, and the need to preserve it, and i would rather the majority of us visited those enclosed reserves, than truly wild areas, which need to remain as pristine as possible.
It is not either for me to judge anyone, but I will say that I do not approve of feeding or freezing as it has a direct impact on the well being of the animal. No harm in the garden feeder, or winter assistance, but indeed there is harm when predators are made to forget how to hunt.
With regards to staging, or manipulating the photo, the author is deluding himself but it does not harm any animal, so I do not care and anyone with a little experience or practice can feel these photos, and choose to ignore them.
In conclusion, I think that forum contributors should simply state how the shot was taken. Perhaps, two categories on the forum ?
One for wildlife shots, one for "studio" shots and manipulated images. 
One of the great parameter of the Cape May Bird series is that participants' sightings are registered on honor. 
Food for thought for our moderators.
Best, ugolino
Working on a personal website.... Comments and advice welcome. 
Visit at http://ugolino.zenfolio.com/

by Axel Hildebrandt on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great look-back pose, details and BG, Gene!
Axel Hildebrandt

9 posts |