Northern Cardinals

Posted by Gene Gwin on Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Photo taken at Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas last week.

Nikon D810, 300mm lens, 1.4 TC, 1/2000 sec at f/6.3, ISO 640.

Sitting in a blind and the two Northern Cardinals dropped down from a tree and began fighting at almost min focus range.  There was a small bush that obscured the tail of the Cardinal on the right, so switched to a vertical crop.  Got four shots before they moved on.  This is the only one with good eye contact.

Click on image for better detail.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Jakejacoby on Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
Very cool action shot Gene. How often do you get to Laguna Seca?

by Gene Gwin on Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Jake, I'm the primary fixer-upper, mower, weed-eater, feeder filler-upper, etc. I'm there about once every three weeks. A little more often during the busy season. Rarely do I photograph more than part of a morning or afternoon. This year I photographed for almost a week. Luckily got some (I think) pretty good shots.

by david fletcher on Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
cracking action Gene. Feisty blighters
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Debapratim Saha on Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Nice action shot!!
Photography is the only solace in life

by Jakejacoby on Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
Gene Gwin wrote:Jake, I'm the primary fixer-upper, mower, weed-eater, feeder filler-upper, etc.  I'm there about once every three weeks.  A little more often during the busy season.  Rarely do I photograph more than part of a morning or afternoon.  This year I photographed for almost a week.  Luckily got some (I think) pretty good shots.
I think you got some outstanding shots.  I'm seriously considering driving out next April for 4 or 5 days.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

by Gene Gwin on Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Jakejacoby wrote:
Gene Gwin wrote:Jake, I'm the primary fixer-upper, mower, weed-eater, feeder filler-upper, etc.  I'm there about once every three weeks.  A little more often during the busy season.  Rarely do I photograph more than part of a morning or afternoon.  This year I photographed for almost a week.  Luckily got some (I think) pretty good shots.
I think you got some outstanding shots.  I'm seriously considering driving out next April for 4 or 5 days.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Jake,
April is generally considered the time of the year when the migration starts in South Texas.  That's true, but sometimes it starts a little later.  If you have time to hang around for about two weeks, then I suggest arriving in S. Texas about April 17th.  If you don't have that much time, then arrive about April 25th and stay four or five days.  This will generally be the best time to get the most birds.  I assume you're driving from Florida, and if so, you will also have opportunities along the Gulf coast on your return trip.

7 posts |