Eating a fig....

Posted by:
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085

by Gene Gwin on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Jake, Pretty bird. The surroundings seem to overpower the bird?

by Jakejacoby on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Gene Gwin wrote:Jake, Pretty bird.  The surroundings seem to overpower the bird?
He was far away in the Fig Tree and I couldn't get any closer - so, I did a pretty big crop - wish I could have been closer.

by Gene Gwin on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Jakejacoby wrote:
Gene Gwin wrote:Jake, Pretty bird.  The surroundings seem to overpower the bird?
He was far away in the Fig Tree and I couldn't get any closer - so, I did a pretty big crop - wish I could have been closer.
Jake, I feel your pain.  If you think the Tanager will stick around.  You might try putting a nice perch at the base of the fig tree and use some suet or mashed up figs and see if it will come to the perch.  If you have a small hide or camo netting to put near the perch and can leave it there, the birds will quickly become used to it.  Just make sure the sun is directly at your back.  Good Luck.

by Jakejacoby on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 pm
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Gene Gwin wrote:
Jakejacoby wrote:
Jake, I feel your pain.  If you think the Tanager will stick around.  You might try putting a nice perch at the base of the fig tree and use some suet or mashed up figs and see if it will come to the perch.  If you have a small hide or camo netting to put near the perch and can leave it there, the birds will quickly become used to it.  Just make sure the sun is directly at your back.  Good Luck.
Gene:  Thanks but the Tanagers are migrating through and only here for a couple of days.  There were some 20 photographers and birders  there (on the side of the road shooting up into the tree) and if I had tried to get closer, I would have been keel-hauled.  We do what we have to do.

5 posts |