Major Mitchell's Cockatoo

Posted by Greg Oakley on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by David Salem on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 pm
David Salem
Forum Contributor
I had a beautiful female Major Mitchells Cockatoo when I was a Teenager. One of my friends breed them and I got a bird to raise for a few years, then she went back into his breeding project. Don't see these guys posted at all and I don't see them in the pet trade either.
Must be pretty rare so well done getting this beautiful bird, especially out in the open.
COME JOIN ME FOR A CUSTOM PERSONALIZED RAPTOR WORKSHOP   NOV-MAR 2019/2020.    PLEASE PM ME TO ENQUIRE ABOUT PRICING AND AVAILABILITY! 

by Greg Oakley on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:52 pm
Greg Oakley
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.
Interesting that you had one as a pet once, David!
From what I can gather, they are pretty rare in (private) captivity these days - although some zoos may still have them.
They certainly aren't listed as rare (in the wild) here in Australia, but definitely uncommon. And very hard to target for photography - they are nomadic, and their range is mostly in arid central Australia over a huge area, so most of the time you just have to be lucky if you see them.

As an aside, I found it interesting that there were both sub-species at the same spot! This seems very unusual as the area that I found them in, is in the range of the western sub species (mollis). There were also several individuals of the nominate race (leadbeateri) with yellow head feathers which supposedly only occurs in eastern inland Australia (I got images of both).
Thanks again, Greg

by clement on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:45 am
clement
Forum Contributor
Oh my.. looks like a doll

23 posts |