Gold-naped Finch Pyrrhoplectes epauletta- Male

Posted by Chewang Bonpo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
OTHER NAMES: Gold-headed Finch, Gold-headed Black Finch, Gold-crowned Black Finch, Epaulet Finch, Epauletted Finch
TAXONOMY : Pyrrhula epauletta Hodgson, 1836, Nepal. Monotypic. From W Nepal E in Himalayas to NE India, S China and NE Myanmar.
FIELD CHARACTERS: Size 15 cm: Male is almost entirely jet-black, except for bright orange hindcrown and nape; inner edges of tertials white; axillaries rufous-orange . Female has hindcrown and nape to ear-coverts olive-green, forecrown to cheek grey, side of neck, mantle and upper scapulars deep grey, lower scapulars and back to uppertail-coverts chestnut; inner edges of tertials white ;tail dark brown; throat and underparts entirely chestnut.
VOICE/SONGS: Rapid and high-pitched "pi-pi-pi-pi" and calls, thin and high-pitched piping whistle in series “teeu".

HABITAT AND BEHAVIOUR: Altitude range 1400 meters - 3500 meters : Inhabits temperate forest of oak , chestnut and rhododendron with dense undergrowth shrubs and nettles (Urtica) to the sub-alpine forest of rhododendron thickets and scrub in mixed with ringal (dwarf) bamboo. In non-breeding season found in similar habitats at lower levels. Feeds on variety of seeds, including those of nettles, also buds, berries; also small insects. Forages on ground, in low vegetation and dense undergrowth. Singly, in pairs and in small groups of up to five individuals.
DATE: 24/03/2017
REMARKS: “Exploring the unexplored is always full of surprises for many good records. Spend 2 nights 3 Days full birding along with trekking (05 hours climb/ 07 hours exploring on 2nd Day / 03 hours downhill) in Dzongu (one of the least explored places in Sikkim). Very surprising that this finch(05 individual , 2 male /3 Females ) was around an altitude of 1400 meters feeding on Mustard seeds.”

Camera NIKON D750, Shutter speed: 1/320 sec,Aperture: 8,Exposure mode: Manual,ISO: 800,Lens: 600mm f/4,Focal length: 850mm

Posted by:
Chewang Bonpo
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Wow- thanks for all the information! A bird I'll never see but now I know about it. I like your portrait showing the beautiful oranges and his bright eye.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

2 posts |