Yucatan Nightjar (Belize)

Posted by Dorian Anderson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I'm just back from a 10-day trip to Belize and Guatemala. There wasn't a ton of time for photography since it was a press trip to promote birdwatching/ecotourism in the two countries, but I did manage to squeeze out a few frames in between very long days of birding (saw 311 species in 9 days!).

I have been doing quite a bit of travel writing lately as I was also in Spain 3 weeks ago. If anyone has an interest in my birding, bird photography, and eco-travel blog you can find it (The Speckled Hatchback) at http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com. The blog is not a money making venture, though it is a conduit through which I maintain and build my presence in the birding community. If I'm breaking any rules here, just let me know.

As for the image, the Yucatan Nightjar is a very shy nocturnal bird with a range restricted to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and neighboring Belize. We spotlighted this guy from our vehicle on a night drive. Though 75 yards out into a field when we spotted him, he permitted quite close approach once we got out of the vehicle.

I suck with flash since I never use it (and don't like using it), but I was very happy with this result.

Canon 400mm f/4 IS on EOS 1 DIV
1/300 at f/5.6, ISO 1600, Speedlight/BetterBeamer

Cheers!

Dorian

Posted by:
Dorian Anderson
Forum Contributor

by leigha on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm
leigha
Forum Contributor
Very nice image, Dorian. (flash controlled well).

by Karl Egressy on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Lovely image, Dorian.

by mikullashbee on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Wow. Very cool bird in a very challenging setting. As nice as it can get for a night shot using flash i'd say, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself for your flash work it looks good here. I know exactly what you mean when you say you don't like using flash though and i am generally the same. Thanks for the details too. Cheers
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

by Gene Gwin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Dorian, Nice one!

by LynnS on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Dorian, amazing looking bird and image with lots of color marking details and textures captured.  What large eyes, hinting at their nocturnal inclination.
Lynn

by Denis55 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:18 pm
Denis55
Forum Contributor
Great bird to have,and excellent flash work!

7 posts |