Rufous Sibia Malacias capistratus

Posted by Chewang Bonpo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
OTHER NAMES: Black-capped Sibia, Black-headed Sibia
LOCAL NAME: Char-Chara (Nepali) , Sese gonak phe chung (Bhutia)

TAXONOMY: Cinclosoma capistratum Vigors, 1831, H.P, India.
Three subspecies recognized; the race M. c. bayleyi (Kinnear, 1939) occurs in Sikkim and Darjeeling hills. Race distributed from E Nepal E to Bhutan and NE India (W Arunachal Pradesh) and S China.

FIELD CHARCTERS: Size24 cm:Medium rufous babbler with black crested head. rufous nuchal collar, neck side and underparts, and shading to soft pale brown-tinged grey on lower mantle, back and scapulars, and to slightly richer rufous on rump and uppertail-coverts; tail tipped grey; greater upperwing-coverts blue-grey with white transverse band, primary coverts black, flight-feathers with bluish-white and blue-grey fringes, tertials brownish ; iris brown; bill black; legs brownish-flesh. Sexes alike.

VOICE/SONGS: Song is a clear high-pitched whistle “ss-iu’u-iu’u” or “ss-diwi’di-diwi’di”. Calls are grating, rattling “twitti-ti”, “trittitititit” and “kjit-jit-jit-jit”.

HABITAT AND BEHIVIOUR: Altitude range 1600- 3000 meters (800 meters in winters) Inhabits temperate broadleaf evergreen forest of oak and  mixed broadleaf-coniferous forest (oak, fir and chestnut, etc.), secondary growth, scrub, locally deciduous forest, borders of cultivation, gardens. In winter keeps within this range but relatively small numbers descend to 800 m or even 200 m. Omnivorous insects, berries and nectars seen in good numbers in Leucosceptrum canum(Gurpis) and  Bombax flowers in search of insects and nectar; Usually in small parties and in big flock  outside breeding season . Associates occasionally with mixed species which may contain other babblers. Arboreal, feeding and hunting in canopy and among moss-laden and lichen-covered trunks and thick understorey foliage, occasionally descending to undergrowth.

Date: 19/03/2017

REMARKS: “The bird is regular to my farm since we have planted Rhododendron, Musleri , Leucosceptrum canum(Gurpis) ... I have been trying out different angles to get a smooth and colourful background which was good from my Terrance, after  I found the background it was time to compose the image with the fruiting branch crossing from the LHS frame leading the view eyes to the subject.  After everything was set. The game of waiting begins for the bird to land and feed (04 hours –wait) finally got the shot (light was from an angle and used fill flash to pop up the sharpness and fill in the shadows made by the branches on the top)

Camera Model: NIKON D750
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec, Aperture: 6.3, Exposure mode: Manual, Flash: i-TTL (-2), ISO: 800
Lens: 600mm f/4 + 1.4X TC, Focal length: 850mm

Posted by:
Chewang Bonpo
Forum Contributor

by Brandon Holden on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:24 am
Brandon Holden
Forum Contributor
love the bird & the composition here. great stuff! ... I'm on a fairly poor monitor, but I'm wondering if the head could get a little bit more sharpening?

B
[b]Brandon Holden[/b]
Hamilton, Ontario
[b][u][url]http://www.PeregrinePrints.com[/url][/u][/b]

by david fletcher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Nicely done. Good use of flash
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mike Danzenbaker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:04 pm
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
I really like this photo, and your posts in general from a part of the world I've yet to visit. Do you have a version where no fill flash was used? Just curious as to the effect of i-TTL -2.0 in this case.

Brandon, I wonder if the appearance of softness on the head is a result of overall low contrast. When I put on my good glasses :), I can see plenty of feather detail.
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com

by Chewang Bonpo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:59 pm
Chewang Bonpo
Forum Contributor
Mike Danzenbaker wrote:I really like this photo, and your posts in general from a part of the world I've yet to visit.  Do you have a version where no fill flash was used?  Just curious as to the effect of i-TTL -2.0 in this case.  

Brandon, I wonder if the appearance of softness on the head is a result of overall low contrast.  When I put on my good glasses :), I can see plenty of feather detail.

Thank you for your comment , really appreciate it sir ... I only shot few frames with flash sir ... as soon as I nailed it I did not shoot more.. 

by mikullashbee on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Great shot Chewang.
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

by mikullashbee on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Great shot Chewang.
Thanks for looking,