White-breasted Nuthatch

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Just got the 1.4 TC for my D500/300/4. Had to try it out on a "yard bird".  More to learn with this attached, but I think I'm going to like the extra reach.
 This is 1/3 of the frame. Cloned out a branch beneath the bird.
D500, 300/4, 1.4TC, 1/320, f 5.6 iso 1000
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by Karl Egressy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:48 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
It's a pretty good yard bird, Cynthia. Classic pose, nice perch and background.

by Arabinda Debnath on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 pm
Arabinda Debnath
Forum Contributor
Beautiful photo, Cynthia!

by Denis55 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:07 pm
Denis55
Forum Contributor
Wonderful pose Cynthia!

by Mike Wooding on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm
Mike Wooding
Forum Contributor
I've had really good results from the Nikkor 300 f4 plus the 1.4x TC. It looks like you didn't have ideal lighting conditions with this image, so this may not have been a perfect test. I'm not basing this comment on the quality of your image, but on your shooting data. 
Cheers from the Canadian west coast,
Mike Wooding

http://www.nahanni.smugmug.com

Last edited by Mike Wooding on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
as Karl said. Classic. gorgeous feel to the image as well
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Cindy, this is the best shot I've seen so far from your new D500/300mm combination. The tree bark has a wonderful warm glow to it. And the pose of the nuthatch, its detail, and the soft out-of-focus background are all excellent. Beautiful job, Cindy! Look forward to seeing more great images.

Last edited by Ron Day on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by joem on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 pm
joem
Forum Contributor
Looks like a great start for your new combo Cynthia.

by Homer on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 am
Homer
Forum Contributor
Beauty shot Cynthia

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 am
Cynthia Crawford
Mike Wooding wrote:I've had really good results from the Nikkor 300 f4 plus the 1.4x TC. It looks like you didn't have ideal lighting conditions with this image, so this may not have been a perfect test. I'm not basing this comment on the quality of your image, but on your shooting data. 
Hi Mike

Could you explain what you mean about the "shooting data"?  Just curious how you can tell about the lighting conditions from that info. Perhaps because it was such a slow shutter speed?
Not at all offended- just curious.

Thanks!
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 am
Cynthia Crawford
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to comment of this photo and my progress with a new camera. I welcome all kinds of feedback!

by Mike Wooding on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:38 pm
Mike Wooding
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Mike Wooding wrote:I've had really good results from the Nikkor 300 f4 plus the 1.4x TC. It looks like you didn't have ideal lighting conditions with this image, so this may not have been a perfect test. I'm not basing this comment on the quality of your image, but on your shooting data. 
Hi Mike

Could you explain what you mean about the "shooting data"?  Just curious how you can tell about the lighting conditions from that info. Perhaps because it was such a slow shutter speed?

Thanks!
Hi Cynthia

I was afraid that I might not have been clear in my first post...sorry about that. The reason I said that the lighting conditions were likely not ideal, was that you had to go to 1000 ISO, f5.6 and 1/320 shutter speed in order to get the correct exposure. I would much prefer to shoot at a much lower ISO, a smaller aperture and a faster shutter speed, especially for these little guys. The faster shutter speed in particular would definitely increase your chances of seeing how sharp this lens is. I am sure that the more you use this lens, with or without the converter, the more you will appreciate it, as I do. 

Cheers, Mike
Cheers from the Canadian west coast,
Mike Wooding

http://www.nahanni.smugmug.com

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Mike Wooding wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Hi Mike

Thanks!
Hi Cynthia

I was afraid that I might not have been clear in my first post...sorry about that. The reason I said that the lighting conditions were likely not ideal, was that you had to go to 1000 ISO, f5.6 and 1/320 shutter speed in order to get the correct exposure. I would much prefer to shoot at a much lower ISO, a smaller aperture and a faster shutter speed, especially for these little guys. The faster shutter speed in particular would definitely increase your chances of seeing how sharp this lens is. I am sure that the more you use this lens, with or without the converter, the more you will appreciate it, as I do. 

Cheers, Mike
Thanks, Mike!  I prefer those qualities too- I see what you mean. This was taken in the 2 PM-light wasn't too bad....for Vermont in the winter!  I'm finding with this rig that I have to go high ISO to get decent shutter speeds, in general. Not so sure about the aperture. But as I say, winter days are dark here, even in what looks like pretty good light. I also used EV +0.67. So far, my Nikon pictures generally come out darker than Canon with the same settings.

13 posts |