Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Posted by Alan Murphy on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird Houston,TX

When doing these backyard setups, I try to get a different feel each time I do one. This young male was feeding off a drop of sugar water that I placed on this flower. The background is another spray painted board. I did not want a flat blue BG so I added some white to break it up and give it a sense of sky. Three flashes were used on this setup. Two on the bird and one on the BG.

Nikon F5, 70-300 zoom, SB28, F13 @ 1/250. Flash set to manual @ 1/32 pwr.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

Posted by:
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Another incredible hummer - excellent shot!

by Laura Stiefel on Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:06 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I really like the variation of the background against the blue sky. Very nice Alan. :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:25 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Awesome Alan!
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by NDCheryl on Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:29 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
:shock: Great shot. I love all the details you captured.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Bill Whala on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:06 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Your background works very well. I honestly can't tell it's artificial. The bird and flower are beautiful.

Excellent job, Alan!!
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Bruce Sherman on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:20 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Alan,
You could have fooled me with that BG. It really looks realistic. This type of shooting must be tough with film. With digital one could tell immediately whether or not the exposure was OK.

Very nice job.

by Jim Probst on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:32 pm
Jim Probst
Forum Contributor
Alan,

Outstanding work! Everything works together beautifully!
Jim Probst
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0034[/url]

by Eric R Johnson on Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:39 am
Eric R Johnson
Forum Contributor
Wow!
Eric Johnson
NSN0101

by AlexC on Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:57 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
8) 8) 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by ajhand on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:37 am
ajhand
Forum Contributor
Alan:

You and Juan are really intriguing me with these multiflash hummer setups. I am most interested in seeing how well the technique can capture a true, natural feel.
You've done really well with your background, here. I have always thought that a sprayed board in a mottled pattern would give good results, and this certainly proves the point.
How are the two lights on the bird deployed? Do you plan one as the "main" light and one as the fill? If so, is there a way you could cut back on the power of the "fill" unit, so that the undersides of the leaves would be a little darker? If you did that, I think this image would be close to perfect.
Interesting trick with the sugar water! Insteresting Salvia, too. My wife tells me it's "Strata".

aj

by Ken Newcombe on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:02 am
Ken Newcombe
Forum Contributor
Alan,

The pose and action are great! The BG color and brightness is perfect. The foreground lighting however looks artificial to my eye. Perhaps reducing the output or angle of one of the foreground flashes would help.

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:19 am
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Alan,

Great shot. The hummer is sharp and in a nice pose. The background looks very natural.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Alan Murphy on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:29 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
[quote="ajhand"]Alan:

You and Juan are really intriguing me with these multiflash hummer setups. I am most interested in seeing how well the technique can capture a true, natural feel.
You've done really well with your background, here. I have always thought that a sprayed board in a mottled pattern would give good results, and this certainly proves the point.
How are the two lights on the bird deployed? Do you plan one as the "main" light and one as the fill? If so, is there a way you could cut back on the power of the "fill" unit, so that the undersides of the leaves would be a little darker? If you did that, I think this image would be close to perfect.
Interesting trick with the sugar water! Insteresting Salvia, too. My wife tells me it's "Strata".[quote]

A.J. and Bruce:

The camera and flashes are set to manual at pre-determined settings, so its the distance of the flash to subject that determins the exposure. To use one of the flashes as fill, you would need to pull the flash back, not change the power on the flash. The lower the power setting on the flash, the shorter the duration of light, which is what freezes the wing motion. All flashes must be set to the same duration to avoid ghosting.

As for shooting with film and not knowing the results. I did some testing first and use the exact same setting every time I do a setup, knowing that it will be exposed correctly everytime. Here's how I do it.

I set the camera to 1/250 shutter speed and the apature to F13. I place two flashes at 45 degrees to the bird. The flashes are placed exactly 12 inches to the subject. To get the BG to expose like the bird you have to set the flash double the distance from the BG. 24 inches in this case. The settings on the flash are: Manual, 70MM zoom and 1/32 power. Once this is all set up, I take a meter reading from a handheld meter and record the F-stop. I then take a reading on the BG and move the flash in or out untill I get the same reading. (usually the flash is double the distance that the bird flashes are) as the flashes on the bird. Depending on the color of the BG, depends on distance of the flash. In this photo, the BG is very light, so more distance with the flash was needed. I have determined that a 1/32 pwr or less is needed to freeze the wings and at least F13 to get the whole bird in focus. With my recorded settings, I do the same setup wether I'm in Arizona or my backyard knowing that I have control over exposure and DOF. All I'm left with is just to be creative. Shooting Hummers and doing the setups is a lot of fun and can be very addictive. Sorry for rambling.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by ajhand on Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:20 am
ajhand
Forum Contributor
Alan:

That wasn't rambling at all, it was very instructive. Thanks

aj

by Jim Neely on Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:13 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
Thanks for a lesson from the master of the setup. This is a gorgeous shot of the hummer.

jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by Scott Allen on Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:01 pm
Scott Allen
Lifetime Member
Member #:00149
Very well done. This is something I've been wanting to try and just haven't got around to it.

Thanks for sharing!
“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”

Great light and shooting to you all!

Scotto

by Sandy Mossberg on Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:51 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
You're getting me very upset, Alan.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Bill Keown on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:17 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Alan, This is drop dead gorgeous.

Bill Keown

by Juan E. Bahamon on Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:46 am
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Alan:

I love it a lot, very artistic.

AJ: For Canon digital shoters I am working on an article that I am going to submit to NSN. For a draft e mail me at jbahamon@aol.com
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

27 posts |