Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Hi Sandy,
Wonderful shot of a handsome guy.

by Jim Probst on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:32 pm
Jim Probst
Forum Contributor
Sandy,

The lighting, detail and rich colors are excellent! I especially like the green grass against the red bill. Beautiful!
Jim Probst
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0034[/url]

by Laura Stiefel on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:54 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
This is one gorgeous bird. Very nice portrait Sandy.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by walkinman on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:56 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Sandy,

Great shot! Captivating stuff man.

I have a question: I don't use an incident meter, so excuse my ignorance here. Why would you use -2/3 from the incident meter reading here? I would have thought you'd go pretty close to "as is", or maybe open up a 1/2 -- 2/3 stop, but not go -2/3. I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Carl

by Juan E. Bahamon on Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:56 am
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Sandy:

Beatifully composed, what a gorgeous bird. Great justice. A classic.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:13 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Very nice, Sandy. I like the little orange lines on the beak and the verrrry fine lines and details. It's a pleasure to look at this photo.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Sandy Mossberg on Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:33 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
walkinman wrote:I don't use an incident meter, so excuse my ignorance here. Why would you use -2/3 from the incident meter reading here? I would have thought you'd go pretty close to "as is", or maybe open up a 1/2 -- 2/3 stop, but not go -2/3. I appreciate your help.
Carl, I appreciate your comments. Here's my rationale for the exposure. First of all, a perfect exposure for me is an image that is 1/3 EV underexposed. If I accomplish that feat, I bring up the image to ideal exposure in PS. If I underexpose too much, I increase exposure in my RAW converter to that same 1/3 EV under and then rely on PS. In this particular shot, I took no chances with bill-shine and thus underexposed by another 1/3 EV. Thus, the 2/3 EV underexposure was 1/3 for my own processing preference and 1/3 to avoid bill-shine. Hope that help.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:43 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Sandy---I just looked at this on a PC monitor and it looks even better. What was the process you used to 'bring it up" in PS?
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]

by Sandy Mossberg on Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:39 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Juli Wilcox wrote:Sandy---I just looked at this on a PC monitor and it looks even better. What was the process you used to 'bring it up" in PS?
Juli, when I say "bring it up" I mean color balance the image (if necessary) and apply Curves so that contrast and brightness and chroma are just right for my eyes on my monitor. As you know, when contrast is increased, the whites often get hotter. That's why I like the 1/3 EV leeway. I haven't met an image that wasn't improved by a Curves adjustment. Remember, Juli, you taught me quite a bit of this stuff when my images were "melting."
Sandy Mossberg
NSN 0015

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:21 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Oh, heck, I know all that. :) I want to know exactly what you did in case I can learn somthing new. For example, the little orange marks on the beak and the delicate white feather edges on the head---did you find those in Curves and adjust ordid you do some global kind of lightening? I find it's different from pic to pic. There's just such a nice range of subtle but definite colors in there.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]

by Sandy Mossberg on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:44 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Juli Wilcox wrote:Oh, heck, I know all that. :) I want to know exactly what you did in case I can learn somthing new. For example, the little orange marks on the beak and the delicate white feather edges on the head---did you find those in Curves and adjust ordid you do some global kind of lightening? I find it's different from pic to pic. There's just such a nice range of subtle but definite colors in there.
Juli, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. In this particular shot, I exposed the image ideally for me and did all other adjustments in Curves. No particular emphasis was given to any portion of the image (a reasonably standard two-point S-curve was used). When finished, the original mildly underexposured image was ideally rendered for my taste. Mild USM was applied (100,0.2,0 x 3).
Sandy Mossberg
NSN 0015

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:28 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
All I'm getting at is that it's a super image; rich, saturated colors with some nice details that really add. I want to make sure I don't miss any technique! 8)
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]

by Mike Wilson on Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:17 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Very cool portrait Sandy. I can see why you like this duck. Exposure of flash and ambient handled very well.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by LHays on Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:16 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Sandy
A beautiful portrait of a gorgeous duck. Excellent all around. I hope they'll still be there this fall....given the current situation. Great job!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

34 posts |