Snowy Owl "Familiar Fence Post"

Posted by David Louis Flores on Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
Having become thoroughly disgusted and frustrated with where my photography was and unable to find the help that I needed where I live, I drove out to Long Island, New York to spend a "Shoot The Light" "A Day In The Field" day with Chas Glatzer. I went to him specifically for examination of my original images, scans and finished prints, post production Photoshop work and if time was available, metering techniques. Chas confirmed my long held fear that my scans were not of the quality that I needed even though they were done at a professional lab. Detail, sharpness and color gamut that is present in the originals is not present in the scans. While someone skilled in Photoshop can make my images look decent for printing and marginally better for presentation on these forums, they will never, as is, come close to the originals. Two years of working trying to make my scans and prints look the way they should is going down the drain. Chas helped me with specific problems that I have been having with Photoshop and showed me different ways to deal with those problems.

Taking a break from the Photoshop instruction in the late afternoon, Chas drove me out to Jones Beach to go over metering techniques. Years ago I adopted (swallowed hook, line and sinker) the philosophies of a different wildlife photographer that a particular camera body, one that I still shoot with today, would handle 98% of any lighting conditions that I would deal with without any compensation. This mistake has limited me ever since in what I can photograph and the quality of the resulting images. Chas went over sunny 16, incident metering and evaluative metering while compensating for varying lighting conditions and subjects. I do not recommend trying to cram all of this into one day as I did. It is information overload. While Chas was getting Black Skimmer images like the one he posted last week, I was lying in the same sand trying desperately to retain all that had been thrown at me that day. I understand all of the principals behind the techniques, it is relearning how and when to apply the techniques and compensations that will take me time to digest.

Chas is the consumate teacher. He wants you to get to whatever level you want to get to with your photography. His philosophy is, here are the fundamentals, here are the techniques, go to work. Find your own style. Chas is extremely open and giving of what he knows and will go over anything that needs repeating until you understand it. I went to Chas for answers and I got them. To get to where I want to be I am going to scrap two years of work with my original images and relearn exposure handling adopting Chas' techniques. I wish that I had listened to someone who two years ago told me of the web site where Chas and many of you were available for instruction and critiques. That was another mistake that I made. I would not be in the situation that I am in now, having to start over again. As daunting and disheartening that is to me, I look forward to seeing how much better my finished images will look when I am back on track.

Was it worth driving twelve hours out and twelve hours back, taking two hours to get through New York City because of missed turns and existing on Mountain Dew to stay awake along the way? Yes! The only thing that I would do differently is spend two days there instead of one. As soon as I am finished with my show schedule, I will be arranging for another session with Chas with another "Day In The Field" or an extended "Shoot The Light" workshop. It was my pleasure to have met Chas and his family.

This snowy owl image was taken in Pendleton County, Kentucky a few years back. Before posting the image, I used as many of the Photoshop techniques that Chas showed me as I was comfortable with at this time. This snowy went to this same fence post each evening within fifteen minutes of 5:45pm to begin hunting in the field. I was set up waiting for him to take flight. The sun was disappearing behind a distant ridge in back of me when a single shaft of beautiful warm sunlight illuminated him. The snowy stayed there for ten minutes staring at me bathed in this gorgeous light. This is one of the many images that I took of him at this time.

There is something magical, something mystical about snowy owls. They get into your heart and where they come to visit becomes holy ground.

I hope that you enjoy the image. I loved taking it.

Suggestions, ideas and reposts are welcome.

David

Nikon F5, 600 F4 AFS
Gitzo 1410 Tripod
Wimberly Head
Fuji Provia 400F
High Res Scan
Photoshop; Quick Mask, Magic Wand, Levels in selected areas, USM, Burning and Dodging, Smart Blur

Posted by:
David Louis Flores
Forum Contributor

by Sandy Mossberg on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:17 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
David, this is an almost stunning image. It needs a bit of sharpening. In the USM dialog box set the parameters at 100,0.2,0 and sharpen it up to five times. Use your History Palette to go back and forth to see which amount of sharpening is best for you. You won't regret it. Stunning is indeed the word for the result.

Early in my avian photography (June 2002) I was wise enough to spend three days with Chas. The sessions changed my outlook. Another three days about nine months later reinforced and added to many concepts I had learned. Now I'm trying to teach Chas but he just laughs at what I say. Ungrateful guy!
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup a bit of sharpening and if possible taking the image from more to the right to avoid some of the branches covering the bird would make it stunning - its still pretty darn good as is.

by David Louis Flores on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:53 pm
David Louis Flores
Forum Contributor
Here is the repost with Sandy's and E.J.'s suggestion of more sharpening. I noticed a difference in the seventh sharpening at 100, 0.2, 0. Too much?

David

by AlexC on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:58 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Sandy wrote:
Early in my avian photography (June 2002) I was wise enough to spend three days with Chas. The sessions changed my outlook. Another three days about nine months later reinforced and added to many concepts I had learned. Now I'm trying to teach Chas but he just laughs at what I say. Ungrateful guy!
Sandy, As good as your story is, I can top it !!, After you took all those lessons we met, I learned incident metering from Chas thru you, But you have been neglectful on teaching me evaluative metering, If you expect to get to know my good places, you better start on that one right away!!

David, I thought I was rid of you!!!, How did you find this joint ??
Now you are getting me upset with more snowy owl shots, Who cares!!!
Seen one seen them all!!!!, same white bird , same early morning light, same yellow eyes !!!, Well, you get my drift!!!!
If you post one more Snowy, I am going to get one of Tony's Bald Eagles and beat you to death with it!!!!, You have been warned!!!!
I will post my own snowy this week , just watch and wait!!!
BTW, Lovely perch!!!!
[/u]
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by ajhand on Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:05 pm
ajhand
Forum Contributor
David:

That repost looks great! Sandy won't steer you wrong. But now that it's so crisp, those branches bother me even more. They are all that stands in the way of total perfection.

Of course we don't know the situation you had facing you. Maybe you couldn't move left, or maybe there were other branches that would appear if you did move. But it sure looks like a few steps to your left would have cleared the scene.

aj

by Jim Urbach on Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:51 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
David,

Glad to see you make it over here. The repost is tack sharp. Love those eyes. I think I would have done some pruning in the field (cut the branches down).

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Anthony Medici on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:03 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Very nice! Only small nit is the branches in the front but that only a small nit. Wonderful light. :shock: :shock:
Tony

by Marc Alverson on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:49 pm
Marc Alverson
Forum Contributor
darn! You are the MAN!
Marc Alverson

by stevebein on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:21 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Very nice till the reworking , then great. You learned a lot with this post.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:27 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
David,

The sharpening did the trick. Beautiful shot. It would be tough to find better light than what you have here.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Laura Stiefel on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:56 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Oh my. The sharpening really made a huge difference. This is a beautiful shot of my all time favorite bird...
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Sheri Whala on Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:24 pm
Sheri Whala
Forum Contributor
The repost is much nicer! Very nice photo!
Sheri Whala
Littleton, CO
NSN 0192

by NDCheryl on Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:59 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
The respost really took this one over the top. The light is incredible. this almost looks like a painting. Glad your learning curve got a jump start.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Alan Murphy on Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:36 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
David,

We're all so overwhelmed by this beautiful photo that we have neglected to welcome you to the NSN family. So welcome.

The repost is great. Not to much sharpening. I like the sticks, although I would be tempted to remove the ones covering the post and bird. I really like the bird being profile and the head facing the camera. Just a fantastic photo.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:00 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
gorgeous shot!
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Jill on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:01 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Hi David, Just when I was getting withdrawal from your Snowy Owls, lo and behold, you appear! Wonderful light on this shot!! Welcome to NSN!!!
Jill Rosenfield

by Bruce Sherman on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:01 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Cool shot, David. I fully agree about the USM.

by Chas on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:41 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Hey David, thanks for the mention. Love the owl image, but you knew that :D We spent much time on sharpening techniques :wink:

The repost look wonderful!

Best and it was my pleasure,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Jim Probst on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:29 pm
Jim Probst
Forum Contributor
David,

The owl seems to glow! I really like the pose and penetrating eyes, they hold your attention! Wonderful image!
Jim Probst
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0034[/url]

24 posts |