oystercatcher with chicks

Posted by Kelly on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Not as sharp as I'd like, but I'm just getting started in shooting things that move, far more difficult than landscapes. This oystercatcher with two chicks were along the shore of North Twin Bay in the southern part of Alaska's Prince William Sound.

Canon Elan 7e, 100-400 IS, @ 400 and f5.6, Provia 100 @ 200, cropped to about 1/3 of original frame. Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts on how I could improve!
Kelly O'Neill

Posted by:
Kelly
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A Black Oystercatcher is a bird I don't yet have in my files much less one with chicks. I really like the raised legs on the adult. It looks the focus point may be just a hair in front of the bird. Some selective sharpening of the adlut bird would probably take care of that.

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:41 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Kelly, I like the shot and agree with EJ on the potential help of more USM.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Richard on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:28 pm
Richard
Forum Contributor
Kelly,

I'm with E.J. and Sandy on this, I've never even seen a Black Oystercatcher. They are not very common, and rarely seen with chicks. Excellent Image! :D
[b]Richard Hogg[/b]
[email]richard@naturephotographs.net[/email]
[url=http://www.naturephotographs.net]www.naturephotographs.net[/url]
[b]NSN 0093[/b]

by Juli Wilcox on Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:28 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Kelly---chicks! Interesting photo indeed! Since the image is cropped, I think the graininess may be from that so improvement would have to do with getting as close and low as possible, stabilizing the camera and lens and quickly adjusting to focus on the head of the adult.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Paula G on Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:25 am
Paula G
Forum Contributor
Hi Kelly,
Very nice picture of this bird, I have never seen. Nice that you got the adult with its foot raised so it is very clear that she is moving. I love its little chick running behind. I agree with all the suggestions offered above. Yea, I sympathise with you about the difficulting of shooting creatures that move!
Paula Graham
http://www.wildlifeforever.net

by AlexC on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:53 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Nice catch !!, I am hoping to get lucky with a few of these birds in Alaska, Just hoping!!! Congrats!!!
8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Greg Downing on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:09 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Paula G wrote:Hi Kelly,
Very nice picture of this bird, I have never seen. Nice that you got the adult with its foot raised so it is very clear that she is moving. I love its little chick running behind. I agree with all the suggestions offered above. Yea, I sympathise with you about the difficulting of shooting creatures that move!
Whay Paula said! I have silch on these guys. You got them with chicks too!!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bob Boner on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
Nice image! And with chicks. I don't have an image of this species--haven't even seen one. I second Juli's suggestions. It looks to me like the plane of sharpest focus is a little in front of the birds. The rocks in front of the birds look sharp. Thanks for sharing.
Bob Boner

9 posts |