American woodcock - finally

Posted by Wil Hershberger on Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
After two years of trying I finally got a shot of an American woodcock. They are somewhat plentiful in my area during migration but, they are very timid. With the help of my dear wife who acted as the torch bearer, we were able to get within flash range of a couple birds tonight. I was more than pleased when I saw the images on the screen at home.
EOS 1Ds, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4XTC, ISO 200, 1/200sec, f/8, flash as main light at 0 Ev using BB. Converted with C1SE, in PS cropped to 8x10, levels, USM and NeatImage. The print is wonderful :D
Comments welcome,
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

Posted by:
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor

by Alan Murphy on Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:08 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
This is great Wil. Such an elusive bird. Great team work with your wife. I might crop some dark off the top.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:07 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Wil, this is a rare photo in my book. The feather detail is wonderful. Wonder what the image would look like if the exposure of the Tiff (16 bit) file got reduced a third or a half in CS 8 and then individual parts brought up in Curves?
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Wayne Ellis on Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:44 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Nice looking bird Wil, glad you managed to photograph it.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by AlexC on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:11 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
I agree, great capture of a very elusive bird, if possible a back flash would have helped to isolate the bird , but I know it is not always possible!! Congrats on a lovely catch!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Laura Stiefel on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:59 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Oh, how I love these birds. This is an awesome shot of photographically elusive bird!!! Congrats! :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by NDCheryl on Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:09 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Well done Wil. I have never gotten a clear shot of one of these.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by AForns on Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:39 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Great going Wil that will be a shot you will remember. Nice teamwork.
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by George McCarthy on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:11 am
George McCarthy
Forum Contributor
Clearly some good field work has been justly rewarded with a great pic. Was the bird just roosting here or in the process of feeding?

George

by Yanni on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:17 am
Yanni
Forum Contributor
What a beatiful image of this bird. Excellent detail on the feathers, great photo.

by Wil Hershberger on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:11 am
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
George McCarthy wrote:Clearly some good field work has been justly rewarded with a great pic. Was the bird just roosting here or in the process of feeding?

George
Hi George,
In this particular area they were displaying, which only lasts 15-20 minutes, then they move out onto this short grass area where they feed. This bird was feeding. While they are feeding some of the birds are much more approachable than others. If my flash would have had more reach I would have gotten some photos of a bird "peenting." I guess that will be my next challenge ;)
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by ajhand on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:15 am
ajhand
Forum Contributor
Way to go Will!

I know how hard these guys are to get. After years of trying, I got my first just two days ago.
Anyway, this one is great. I would be interested to know how you got the shot. I have been trying to hunt them up during the day, but I see you are working at night.

aj

by Wil Hershberger on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:46 am
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
ajhand wrote:Way to go Will!

I know how hard these guys are to get. After years of trying, I got my first just two days ago.
Anyway, this one is great. I would be interested to know how you got the shot. I have been trying to hunt them up during the day, but I see you are working at night.

aj
Aj,
I have lead birding trips to this area for five years just to see the woodcock. We have always gone in the evening to witness the display. Every year when we are walking out we find a few of the birds on the trail feeding well after the displaying is over. In fact, it is very dark at this time. I used this experience to try to set up a blind in the area where we usually find them. During the display there were lots of birds around me in the taller grass but none would come out onto the short grass trail. I tried this several times to no avail. So I thought that we should try to replicate the same thing that we do with the birding groups and just watch the displays and then walk carefully out and see what we find on the trail. It is too difficult to try to carry the camera and use the spot light at the same time. My wife, Donna, loves being outside and really enjoys the woodcock walks so she agreed to be in charge of the light. We walked carefully using the light to scan a head of us and sure enough we found several birds feeding on the trail. Only two allowed us to get with in range. The bird in the photo was particularly tolerant and provided the most pleasing poses. This is the only technique that seems to work for this situation. If I could find a nest I think that a careful belly crawl approach would result in some fantastic images. I can't wait.

by digimies on Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:27 am
digimies
Forum Contributor
Wonderful exposure of this bird not often seen here! No nits.
http://www.jussivakkala.com/blog

by Bill Whala on Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:50 am
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Great team work, Wil. This is an outstanding result for your effort. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:15 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Wil,

Your efforts were rewarded with a fine image. Well done.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Carol Clarke on Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:37 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You can't beat a good partnership Wil!! :wink: Excellent result for all your efforts. 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Jill on Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:53 am
Jill
Forum Contributor
Wil, Sincere congrats on this accomplishment!!! Great teamwork and planning have prevailed in capturing this phenomenal and rare image!!!! It is positively sensational and an honor to view this gem!!! :D :D :D
Jill Rosenfield

18 posts |