Series: A Day at Bosque: [39] A Friendly Face

Posted by Anthony Medici on Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
(Male American Kestrel ) Bosque de Apache, New Mexico

This is a continuation of my series of images from my two weeks at Bosque. My intent is to make the images flow as though they all occurred during a single day. Of course, they occurred during the two weeks I was there. :)

This is the thirty ninth post of the series. The time is now 13:23 pm.

The neat thing about being around Greg Downing when I'm in New Mexico is that he never seems to get back to the Refuge after lunch as early as I do. As usual, this Kestrel always seemed to be hanging around the entrance to the refuge as long as Greg wasn't around. :wink: Unfortunately, he didn't like cars approaching her too closely so I learned that some shots from a distance were better than no shots at all. :D Also, he decided to perch a little too close to the post to not include it in the image.

I'm pretty sure this was taken with the 3X on the 600. Since the camera doesn't recognize the converter, the exif information doesn't confirm this. But based on the shutter speed, aperture and ISO, I'm left to believe I was using it for this shot.

Window mounted Nikon D2H, 600mm AFS, Kenko Pro 3X, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, 1/500 @ F16. Cropped 20% of the height of a landscape and made 5:4 as a portrait.
Tony

Last edited by Anthony Medici on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012

by Bill Whala on Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:11 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Excellent!! This is really sharp for a 3X. Very well done.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by AlexC on Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:22 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

Anthony, Again a killer Kestrel shot, exposure on the money, BG to die for and a rural southwestern perch that Alan would be proud of!!!, I suspect here that again the combination of the Kenko 3x plus the 1/500sec SS rendered the image significantly soft, There is no explanation for me that at f/16 could be nothing else but in camera motion blur, at this extreme magnification the smallest vibration is amplifies as much as the teleconverter's 3X, this lens not being VR (Soon)
makes it almost impossible to obtain a sharp image at this extreme!!
Unless your Wimberly is set on a well anchored concrete pillar and you laying on top of the lens to counterbalance any wind induced vibration the results will always be the same!!, On the other hand , having never used a Kenko Pro 3x it is for me very hard to judge it's optics and rendering qualities. I can always suggest you send it to me for further evaluation!! :wink:
Boy!!, I would give anything to get this bird a tad sharper!!
But wait let me see what I can do..........
A little sharper but not by much!!!
Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by LHays on Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:38 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Tony
These guys are so beautiful.....and shy. I think Alex's repost has helped the sharpness. Lovely colors with this one....and a great BG.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Alan Murphy on Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:20 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Tony, great shot. Love the BG, perch and pose. I believe this is a male.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Anthony Medici on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:05 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Alan Murphy wrote:I believe this is a male.
Oops
Tony

by Laura Stiefel on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:54 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
What a great pose and a beautiful bird. Unfortunately, I am noticing the softness throughout.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Mike Wilson on Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:00 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Great colors and comp. I like the spotted breast feathers, a very handsome dude he is.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

8 posts |