Common Goldeneyes

Posted by jfabian on Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Here is an image of Common Goldeneyes, just after they have landed on this stump.

EOS 1v
100-400 mm IS lens with 1.4 TX
Velvia 100F
hand-held
Judy Fabian
http://www.uvm.edu/~jfabian

Posted by:
jfabian
Forum Contributor

by matt kuchta on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:26 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
Are these juveniles? The patterning looks a little odd for a goldenye. Crop out most of the OOF blur in the FG and you have a nice portrait - if a little heavy on the left side.

Good job catching the eye of both of these birds.
-matt

by AlexC on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:27 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Judy, Lovely birds those Golden Eyes, here as presented they are a bit underexposed, the stump is nice but the OOF FG is not only distracting but makes a good composition almost impossible!!, Still a good try!!! :D
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by jfabian on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:49 pm
jfabian
Forum Contributor
Thank you for your comments, I agree with both, I just happen to like the way the two birds are. I have another image of just the single bird, which is much better compositionally, no distracting OOF. I am not sure if you have a 1 image in 24 hrs limit, so I will wait until tomorrow to post that.
Judy Fabian
http://www.uvm.edu/~jfabian

by Richard on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:54 pm
Richard
Forum Contributor
Judy,

Have to agree with Alex, still these are very wary birds and you did well to get this image. You might post your image a little larger so we can get a better view. I'll make sure I check tomorrow to see the next image of these gorgeous ducks. Very nice image!
[b]Richard Hogg[/b]
[email]richard@naturephotographs.net[/email]
[url=http://www.naturephotographs.net]www.naturephotographs.net[/url]
[b]NSN 0093[/b]

by Anthony Medici on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:11 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
jfabian wrote:I am not sure if you have a 1 image in 24 hrs limit, so I will wait until tomorrow to post that.
You can find the posting guidelines here. You will find that it says one image post per forum each 24 hour period. So, yes, you can post the other image tomorrow.
Personally, I find the OOF area at the bottom a bit distracting and I would have rather had a clearer view of the birds. :)
Tony

by Juli Wilcox on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:52 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Judy and welcome to NatureScapes! That's an unusual pose for the birds which I think is interesting and which I like. I think if the foreground is not complimenting or in some way adding to the image, then it is by default, a distraction. That's the word that's often used in analyzing a photo---in this case, because the oof area comprises about a third of the image and is also a lighter color, the oof does draw the viewers attention more than the birds.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

7 posts |