I've seen this look before ...

Posted by Larsen on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I couldn't help but smile when I got this slide back: Now and then I'll see the human equivalent of this facial expression when my wife learns I've ordered another piece of photographic paraphernalia.

Rangeley, Maine two weeks ago.

EOS-3, 400 w/2x TC, Wimberley head on a G1410. Provia 100.

Posted by:
Larsen
Forum Contributor

by matt kuchta on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:17 am
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
I'd be tempted to crop out the reeds on the right side and a touch of saturation/curves to make the colors pop a bit more. That expression is priceless. Bring all the attention you can to it :)

-matt

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:54 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Great expression, Peter. The whites appear hot but then again the light seems harsh. I'd like to see more room at the bottom for the "virtual legs." I can imagine this as a vertical.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by AlexC on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:31 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Wonderful expression, whites to the very edge or maybe slightly over, good detail but I need room for his legs!!! But that you have already heard!!, Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Richard on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:37 pm
Richard
Forum Contributor
Larsen,

I like that the bird is on the third of the image, the open beak and the sense of habitat. I agree with the others about the more room for the legs. The problem will more room on the legs is you may have a hard time finding a good place to crop the image due to the reflection. Very nice image!
[b]Richard Hogg[/b]
[email]richard@naturephotographs.net[/email]
[url=http://www.naturephotographs.net]www.naturephotographs.net[/url]
[b]NSN 0093[/b]

by Larsen on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:23 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I just checked the slide, and it's confirmed: I CUT OFF HIS LEGS. I don't know what I was thinking - I know better. I can't help but wonder what the image would have looked like if I closed down 1/3 to 2/3 for the small amount of white. My sense is the image as a whole would have been too dark for my liking, so it could be there simply was too much contrast to get a technically *good* shot.

by tcgoetz on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:24 pm
tcgoetz
Forum Contributor
A funny expression. I wondering what it would have looked like if you removed the converter and took a vertical with the bird slightly to the left. I think you might of been able to fit the bird and the reflection that way.
[url=http://photography.tom-goetz.org]Tom Goetz[/url]

by Juli Wilcox on Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:10 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Peter---nice timing on the vocalization. The vertical for this would work nicely, I think. The good thing about great blues, is it's sometimes possible to get in some practice on them since they tend to return to the same spots.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

8 posts |