WINTER DUCKS

Posted by Peter M. Noyes on Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Yesterday was a cold, windy day here in Ohio with the temperature below 20 degrees yesterday afternoon. It was very bright and suny, I got this picture of these white ducks contrasted against the deep blue water in a pond in Dayton. You can see the ripples in the water and yet you can see the reflection of the ducks.

Posted by:
Peter M. Noyes
Forum Contributor

by joseph motto on Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:42 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Peter, You did not post the technicals so it is difficult to critique from that aspect. As you will see here frequently a lower angle of shot is generally preferred if it is possible. You and I share a problem, namely, blowing out the whites and losing detail in the most important part of the picture, the highlighted subject. The thought for the day is to expose for the whites and let the rest fall where it falls. Is this a sunny 16 shot or a metered shot?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Juan A. Pons on Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:48 pm
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
Peter,

I really like the composition, and the color of the water. Unfortunately the whites are blown out and you have lost detail on the ducks. Can you recover some of it?

-J
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Welcome to NatureScapes. You are the first person from the hometown of Neil Armstrong :) As the others have said, the domestic ducks you have captured here are overexposed as the details in the whites are blown.

by Peter M. Noyes on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:16 pm
Peter M. Noyes
Forum Contributor
I'm a little surprised, not many people know where Wapakoneta is or even how to pronounce it let alone that it is Neil Armstrongs town.
The picture was taken with a ikon D1X with a 24 to 120 F/3.5-5.6 G series lens at 120 MM. ISO was set at 200, WB @Cloudy 0, Matrix Metered exposure at F11 @ 1/500 sec on lexar digital film

5 posts |