Barn owl flight: advice requested

Posted by joseph motto on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This is a totally non-adjusted photo of the owl that Juan and Juli so nicely presented recently. I post it because I am interested to hear exactly what others would do to make this image presentable (or is it a lost cause?). I have sized and sharpened but did no color, saturation, or other adjustments. As you can see the 11 am sun is coming in from my left and into the face of the owl as he approaches me from the right. I have blown out the face. Is this irretrievable? What steps would you take on this image or would you toss it?
Canon 10D, Canon 400/2.8 on Gitzo and Wimberly. ISO 200, 1/500 @ f8. Eval metering, manual exposure, daylight white balance. Autofocus, AI servo. No flash.
If this post belongs elsewhere please feel free to move it. All comments and reposts welcome. I hope that this will be a learning experience for others as well as myself.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

Posted by:
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091

by Jim Neely on Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:06 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
Joseph,

I think this image has potential. I'd try Greg's method of combining a linear and normal conversion to try to control the hot whites.

I'd also crop, probably tighter than some like, but get the image to mostly owl. The large limb splitting the wing doesn't bother me too much but cloning is an option.

Good luck...jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by Juan E. Bahamon on Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:17 pm
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Joe:

I believe the picture is recoverable but it required some work in PS:

First: Shadow highlight recovery
Second: Levels, with the eye dropper adjust the whites.
Third: Select the right side of the face only and do a little highlight recovery there.
Fourth: With the elipse select the bird with afeather of 50, then invert the selection, with levels darken the background a litle.
Fifth: With the sponge brush at a low setting give a little more saturation oto the bek and the open mouth and also a litle to the forehead.

The result is not perfect and the reason is that they conduct this free flights shows at 10:00 AM when the sun is already high.

If you pay the museum $ 60 for a private show you can chose the time, I would recommend being there at 7:30AM
I hope it helped.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by ajhand on Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:43 pm
ajhand
Forum Contributor
Nice shot, Joseph, and nice PS work by Juan as well. In addition to what Juan has suggested, you could also--right after step 4, with the background still selected--dial in a little touvch of gaussian blur. This will soften the background a bit and make the owl look that much sharper.

aj

by Heather Forcier on Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:53 am
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
I think this image does have some great potential. Since you provided permission for reposts, I did a quick crop to recompose - I like the branch the bird seems to have taken off from and was easily able to crop out other branches but still allow this one to lead into the frame to the bird:
I did not do anything but crop and convert the file to sRGB.

If you use Breezebrowser, one option with the 10D files is a "combined conversion", which puts together a linear and regularly converted file. For more control, you can just convert the image twice - once as a regular, once linear, and blend the two as indicated in this article:

http://www.naturescapes.net/092003/gd0903.htm

Finally, another quick item to note - when saving your images for the web, they are best represented as sRGB. I believe this file is in Adobe 1998 format, which may be viewed differently than intended by the various browsers.

Hope this helps!
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by joseph motto on Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:52 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Juan, Jim, AJ, Heather,
Thank you very much for these most helpful suggestions. I will take this image and see what I can do with it utilizing these thoughts.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

6 posts |