WHO's lookin' at you!

Posted by Brett B. on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 

While going 50mph down a highway, I spotted this fellow sitting in a holly bush at eye level. I thought I had seen a hawk, but somehow it seemed too large, so I circled back, and this great horned owl is what I discovered. Unfortunately, all of my camera equipment was back at the house, over 30 miles away. The bird didn't seem to be too startled by my stopping alongside the road, so I decided to take a chance and race back home for my camera.

An hour and twenty minutes later, I returned to find it sitting in the same spot! It had waited for me. After two quick shots while still in the holly bush, he had had enough, and flew up into a tree where I was able to capture this. After looking right at the camera for this shot, he retreated further into the woods, but still stayed within view, allowing me to photograph him for nearly 30 more minutes before disappearing into a heavily shaded area of the woods. I can't imagine ever having this much luck again.

Nikon D1x, Nikon 300mm f/2.8 w/1.4xt, 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400
Brett Breeding
Digital Rainbow Images
http://brettbreeding.com/photos/montages.html
NSN 0081

Posted by:
Brett B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00081

by Alan Murphy on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:53 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Good job, going back to get your camera. Nice work with the detail in the shadow area. Nice detail too.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Laura Stiefel on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:08 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I love this! Those wide eyes are adorable. :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Jim Neiger on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:22 am
Jim Neiger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00113
Cool capture and an experience you won't soon forget. I admire your dedication. The eyes and it's expression really grab your attention. 8)
[b]Jim Neiger - [url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com]Flight School Photography[/b][/url]
[b]Kissimmee, Florida[/b]

[url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/FSP%20Current%20Workshops.htm][b]Flight School Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by AForns on Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:26 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Hard work paid off Congratulations

Alfred
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by AlexC on Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:27 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
I know the feather addiction pretty well, two days in a row I missed work due to some Swallow tailed Kites!! :wink:

Image:
Great looking bird, wonderful eyes and pretty good detail, my only wish is for the OOF branch in the FG not to be there, but is only a wish!!
Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

6 posts |