VFNP doe on hill

Posted by robert hasty on Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 

One of the things im just starting to practice on is BG's. This was really a trial run at it. Wish it were a buck, but hey, does are good enough for practice :wink: The slight hill its standing on im finding slightly distracting myself, but figured id post as is. Guess i need a little fg work also :lol:

The sky in the bg is close to what i remember it, it really helped to let the deer stand out a bit. Please feel free to hammer away here, i am still learning if its not to obvious already :D

Thanks a bunch,
robert.........

10d
tripod
300mm
F16 at 1/10th of a second
u.v and 81b warming filter
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

Posted by:
robert hasty
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A beautiful animal with a great foreground and background. I think the side lighting is too strong here throwing half of the face into blackness as well as projecting a large shadow onto the body - getting this guy in profile, from a lighting perspective, would have improved this one.

by chris earle on Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:19 pm
chris earle
Forum Contributor
Robert,

I agree with E.J. I like the background and foreground, but the shadows are a bit distracting. It looks like you must have had quite a good time at VFNP.
Chris Earle
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0045[/url]

by Brian Hale on Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:54 pm
Brian Hale
Forum Contributor
The slight slope of the hill is good; a straight line of grass across the frame is uneventful at best. The sky is nice but my mind is saying it should be a tad more blue/cyan, but if thats how is was, thats good. A nice pose as well but the shadow on the face and body detract some from the overal image.

All in all this is a nice image. Keep At It!

Brian :)
< < <> > >
Brian Hale
NSN 136
[url=http://www.westernrun.net]Western Run Photography[/url]

“ The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.”
Albert Einstein

by Lillian Roberts on Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:54 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Not bad. The hill is OK, the sky is nice. The shadow on the doe is bothersome, but I really like the sidelighting on the face. In fact, I would love a closeup shot of this doe's head and neck, facing the camera, in this same light. I know many don't care fo rsidelighting but this is a case where it could be used to make a dramatic portrait.

I know, you weren't making a portrait. But still. I think the reason it bothers some (if I may be so bold as to speak for them) is that the dramatic sidelighting on the doe conflicts with the gentle green hill and the nice calm sky. If you had storm clouds and blurred, blowing grass it would fit in just fine.

Not what you probably wanted to hear...

Lillian

5 posts |