Buck silhouette

Posted by robert hasty on Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 

Well, i had a few really nice silhouette shots of this buck on the hill, the few i really liked were ruined due to the fact i didnt have a cable release. Yes, i just bought one today finally. There were also a few from last week ruined because of the delay in purchasing one. I think ive learned my lesson :wink: That is, a self timer is no good for shooting deer, and no matter how careful you are when pressing the shutter button down on camera, theres camera shake. Atleast when you've had a couple cups of coffee in ya :D This ones a just o.k imo, curious on your thoughts!

Thanks for viewing,
robert..........

10d
tripod
300mm 2x
u.v and warming filter
shot at sunup
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

Posted by:
robert hasty
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:57 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
More than just OK Robert, I like this a lot. The sky is gorgeous and the silhouette works really well.

Superb shot 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Lillian Roberts on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:01 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Robert, nice color and composition! I would prefer the buck in a stance that better displays his shape. I have to work a bit to know what I'm seeing here, which gives it less impact than it might have had.

Lillian

by Rich S on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:11 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Sky is great and I love the idea of the buck in silhouette. Like Lillian I wish the head were turned so you had a better view of his rack. What shutter speed were you using? I would think that the timer would take care of the camera shake but that mirror lock-up (or the slap of the mirror) would be the more likely problem, especially if the shutter speed is about 1/15th. And in that case, cable release won't help unless you use the mirror lock feature as well.

Rich

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:41 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Thanks all!!

This was shot at 5.6 and 1/8th of a second. Im pretty sure i didnt use the timer for this one, just took it without a c-release. Something i still need to learn is how to read my histogram with my new(ish) 10d.

Lillian, i agree. Had another that was closer up and postioned better in the frame but has this weird halo around it. Maybe ill post that one later to see what you guys think about it. Yeah, i think i might just do that :D

Thanks again everyone,
robert................
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Steve Sage on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:48 pm
Steve Sage
Lifetime Member
Member #:00058
Very nice Robert.
I'm not sure how much the cable release will help here. Mirror lock up will definately inprove sharpness at this shutter speed. Resting your arm on the lens should also help if you read articles about long lens technique. I've found if I use multi-frame mode and shoot a few frames one is much sharper than then others. The self timer would surely be very frustrating.
Nice overall effect in this image. Looks like you shook the shake problem on this one.
Steve Sage
Michigan
http://www.sageimages.com

by Dennis Olivero on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:49 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Robert your WTD pictures keeping getting better and better. As mentioned above, I really wish your subject would have given slightly more of a profile making it obvious and rapid to make the ID. I think it would be slightly better if you moved the subject to the right so he is looking up hill and to the left. I really like the sky and use of colors here.. way to go.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very cool - I really like this type of shot. Cropping a bit off the top and off the right would make it even better in my opinion.

8 posts |