Grand Master....Caribou

Posted by DMcLarty on Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
one of our Caribou shots taken this past month during thier migration through the area.
Canon 1D iso 200 500mm tripod etc .Augst tundra.

Thanks for looking Comments and sugestions welcome.
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

Posted by:
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155

by Campbell on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:19 am
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Very nice color, the exposure looks great. I think I would have done this as a horizontal shot, but that's just me.
Nice shot.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by Brian Hale on Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:28 am
Brian Hale
Forum Contributor
Excellent pose and the exposure perfect! I might like a slightly different perspective; ie if you were lower to the ground to move the horizon lower in the frame as the receding landscape is a bit distracting. I know, easier said then done... :roll:

Overall well done!

Brian :)

by Cliff LeSergent on Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:42 am
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor
Hi, Doug!

It's good to see that EOS 1D is being put to good use! Nice shot!
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

by Cindy Marple on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:37 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
What a handsome creature! I agree with Jason's suggestion of a horizontal to give him some space to move in to. Also a change in perspective so that the horizon isn't running through the antlers- either higher or lower. I do like the pose of the animal, the head held high showing off that rack!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Lillian Roberts on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:09 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Beautiful bull! Man, I'd like to get close to these guys in the wild... it's on the "dream list" fer shur.

WHile your basic composition is OK, I agree with those who would like a lower perspective on this. We're looking down at him a bit, making his hindquarters look awkward and displaying that scruffy molting back. His best features are the antlers and head, and they are not shown to best effect here because they are competing with your horizon. The light isn't giving you any help either, sometimes it will really halo those antlers and make them work for you.

One other point, FWIW: I realize you grabbed this because his head turned toward you, but as you study images of large mammals start paying attention to where the limbs are placed. For the best impact, the hind feet should both be firmly on the ground (or extended behind if running), and at least one of the forefeet advanced -- preferably the one farthest from the camera. Ths hind foot in motion here makes him look slightly off-balance, or like he's just getting up from the ground to run away (which may in fact be the case). It's a lot to watch all at once, but sometimes it helps to leave the camera at home and just study the way they move. Even watching your pets at home, or horses on TV can help, as most quadrupeds use the same basic 3 gaits.

Hope this helps, you may already know all this.

Lillian

by Rich S on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:20 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Love the turned head, the velvet on the antlers and the catchlight. Lillian's comments on the leg position are very good.

Rich

7 posts |