Gray Wolf in Captivity

Posted by Mary Dennis on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 

This is the arctic subspecies of the grey wolf. This image was taken at the International Wolf Center in Ely, MN in June of last year. I have never been lucky enough to come across a wolf in the wild but I have seen fresh tracks of one! I guess this guy looks pretty domesticated and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is the closest I have come to the real thing. Thanks for looking!

D60, 28-70mm, 1/250, fll, handheld
Mary
NSN 0123

Posted by:
Mary Dennis
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:32 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
We have no wild ones left in UK Mary so I have to make do with captive ones.

I do love Wolves and think you have a fine image here. Lovely composition and detail.

:)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by tstett on Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:23 am
tstett
Forum Contributor
Hello Mary,
that's a very nice wolf! It doesn't look very wild, but that's no problem for me. The composition and the background are also quite good.
But I think that this picture can be improved very much by adjusting the contrast and color balance! If you want I could send you an improved version by email so you can see what I mean.

All the best!
Thomas Stettler

by Rich S on Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:40 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Very nicely done. Might be captive but you've got a good setting and background. Agree on bumping the contrast a bit. Only other wish would be for the tongue in rather than out. I think it would convey more of a "wild" feeling, especially given the calm pose here.

Rich

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A beautiful animal and a nice shot. looks like the WB was about 1000 degrees too low to deal with the deep shade.

by tcgoetz on Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:32 pm
tcgoetz
Forum Contributor
I like the composition and the direction of the look. I agree that more contrast and warming a bit would help.
[url=http://photography.tom-goetz.org]Tom Goetz[/url]

by Brian Hale on Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:13 pm
Brian Hale
Forum Contributor
Almost looks like he's ready to play ball! It's a beatiful beast and you've captured it well. A small amout of curves and some levels really brightens the image up and makes him stand out some more.

Brian :)

by Mary Dennis on Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:04 pm
Mary Dennis
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the comments all. It is very much appreciated. Thought I'd try a repost with adjustments as per suggestions. Is it there, or am I too timid? Please feel free to show me what you can do in a repost if you want. Thanks!
Mary
NSN 0123

by tstett on Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:42 am
tstett
Forum Contributor
Your second version is already a lot better! I repost your picture with a very strong correction, probably a bit too strong. But it is meant to show you how an image can be changed just by altering contrast, color temperature and applying a bit sharpening. But after all, you took the picture, you have seen the reality, you should decide what matches your intention the best! :)
Thomas Stettler

by Cindy Marple on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:29 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Mary, I'm no expert on getting the color balance right, but probably something between your second post and Thomas's repost would be my preference.
My first thought was how much this looks like a domestic dog! But then I think many aspect of wolf society is a lot like domestic dogs, and I'm quite sure if you could observe wild wolves from a blind you could find a situation like this. I like your nice low perspective.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

10 posts |