Bear Bath

Posted by scubastu on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This was taken at the Refuge for Endangered Wildlife up on Grouse Mountain, BC. There are 2 orphaned grizzly cubs there, Grinder and Coola...not sure which one is which though :D
Canon EOS 10D, 100-400L.

Stu

Posted by:
scubastu
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:21 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Wow, you were really close to this orphan. I wish I had some grizzly cub head shots. I think the water may be a little off of horizontal which is an easy fix with some CCW rotation. Maybe a little additional USM to sharpen the picture would be helpful as well. I like that you got a solid catch light in the left eye and the exposure looks pretty good. Thanks for posting in FFM
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by scubastu on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:42 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Dennis,

Thanks! They hang out at this pond that about 10 yards from the fence, they're hardly cubs really, they're nearly 300 lbs each.

I've reposted a slightly sharpened version. I don't know about doing a CCW rotation as that would tilt the cub's head.

Stu :D

by Corey Deards on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:09 pm
Corey Deards
Forum Contributor
Stu,
Very nice shot. I didn't see it before the extra USM but it looks pretty sharp here. I think I would try to tone down the reflections in the water a bit, they seem a bit bright on my moniter, but that is just personal taste. Is this a rehab facility or just an open refuge where they are free to roam? I have thought of contacting some local wildlife rehab locations to find out if there was any photo ops. in return for prints etc.
Wonderful capture, thanks for sharing
Corey Deards
[b]The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated![/b]
[url]http://www.deardsphotography.com[/url]

by scubastu on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:28 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Corey,

Thanks! I thought about putting on a CP but liked the reflections. The center got started to rehab orphaned bear cubs, Grinder and Coola were the test subjects. They had 2 younger ones, Cari & Boo that are now moved to a much larger facility in the interior. The goal is for them to be able to rehabilitate cubs for reintroduction into the wild. Unfortunately, Grinder and Coola have had too much human exposure and can't be released anymore.

Stu

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:43 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
The sharpened version is a ton better. I like it a lot better. For learning, feel free to leave the original and then put the repost below it. I think that will really help all of us. Good job...
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

6 posts |