Walking deer

Posted by robert hasty on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Shot this the other day while on a day in the field with Chas. As the sun dropped in a hurry on us we were watching these deer walk back and forth from one section of woods thru this little grass field to another.

Chas walked me through a couple very helpful tips regarding panning while shooting wildlife and showing a little motion in the legs. It was a great day and i had a blast.

With this image here my main concern is the portion of legs that seem to be in the oof part of the lense. Note: big lense-im not used to :wink: While it doesnt bother me really, i would like to hear your thoughts and comments on this.

Thanks a bunch,
robert........

10d
tripod
500mm
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

Posted by:
robert hasty
Forum Contributor

by Kelly on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:00 am
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Robert, you did a good job conveying motion while keeping the head sharp.
Kelly O'Neill

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is an excellent shot. I would remove a little of the blue cast caused by taking this in deep shade.

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:00 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Robert
Thanks for your contribution. I like the sense of movement you have created and I like that the head is sharp. My only wish is that the rear leg had not been caught so far back.. Maybe it is my day job, but it just made me think that the deer was lame or had a limp.. HOpefully I am just a biased viewer and the others will NOT agree.. but my honest thoughts nonetheless. Thanks again for posting.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Chas on Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:40 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Hey Rob, the deer's gait looks normal too me, but... I do like the how you captured the head sharp with smooth panning, and the motion in the legs.
As presented it does have a blue cast. I would prefer the deer parallel to the camera or walking towards you rather than slightly away.

I know you have others :wink:

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by NDCheryl on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:41 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Robert,

Well done. i like the motion you have shown here. The gair looks fine to the physical therapist in me but my patients only have 2 legs! Good job keeping the head sharp.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

6 posts |