The wounded Doe (Valley Forge National Park)

Posted by robert hasty on Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 

Shot this sunday morning very early around 6:30a.m. Was shooting a buck at the time and this doe was feeding in the grass to my left. It started to walk out from the tall grass heading towards the road that leads through the park to get to where a few other doe were feeding. As it came out of the grass i noticed it was injured pretty badly, limping like a champ, this poor thing could barely walk. Im told it was probably hit by a car somewhere in the park as this does happen from time to time. The deer population in this perticular park is incredibly high.

Given the number of images i took of bucks that morning, this image here has had the most impact on me personally. It certainly tugs on a few heart strings everytime i view it. Whether its from this experience of my first morning out ever shooting deer in general, or this image itself, but for the first time i believe, ive really connected somehow with the nature in nature photography. I will no dought, be going back many times in the future.

Thanks for reading/viewing,
robert............

10d
tripod
300mm
warming filter@u.v filter

Posted this on the PM site also, this one here though is more accurate as to what i saw that morning. Thanks to auto levels!! The white glowing line in the BG is rising fog from a hillside and small valley!!
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

Posted by:
robert hasty
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gorgeous shot! I might have used digital darkroom techniques to tone down that bright streak but otherwise this is excellent.

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:38 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Robert
This is a compelling photo. You can about feel the pain in the front? leg by the posture here. The lighting is dramatic although I kind of wish that bright spot in the back wasnt there...

I watched a wounded doe last winter around here, rear leg and probably hit by a car. For two weeks in the dead of winter she could barely toe touch. Although it is forbidden in the city, I still left corn out for her in a big bucket. I was really happy she made it thru the winter and this summer I saw here late one night walking with barely a limp. She is back to chewing up the hastas and the trees in the area, much to my delight, but not my neighbors.

Thanks for the post..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by mwagner1 on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:47 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
I agree 100% on the sad feelings of seeing a wounded deer. I live in a community about 25 miles SW of Austin, and we have had a serious deer over-population for several years.

It is always sad to see a deer injured, and I have seen some awful injuries. What is worse, though, is seeing the yearly dead fawn on the side of the street.

You shot is nice, but familiar to what we see here..just minus the beautiful light!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by Geo on Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:34 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:21 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Superb image Robert, this is your creative streak coming out again!! Very poignant picture this creates with your explanation.

Love it!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Juli Wilcox on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:40 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
I agree, the whole image denotes some sad feeling. I think the hunch in the animal's shoulder and the position of the ears creates that feeling for me. The orange light that shows up on the seed heads really adds visually, too.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

7 posts |