A tree climbing crab

Posted by oeyvind on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Not very big yet not very small... a tree climbing crab in the mangroves of Sg. Buloh Wetlands Reserve, Singapore.

Think this one is an Episesarma versicolour
1/100s f/5.6 @ 420mm, ISO 200 (slightly cropped)

EOS D60, EF 300mm f/4 L IS, EF 1.4x II

P.S. Think shutter speed not fast enough to freeze the movement on its right eye. :(

Posted by:
oeyvind
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:22 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Tim
Thanks for your post in FFM. These guys are fascinating, and I find their eyes particulary interesting. Maybe the slight loss of detail in the right eye is simply a factor of DOF ..the left eye is very sharp. I wonder how it would have looked had you moved the camera up slightly, giving him more room ahead to walk into. Exposure looks good, although the light may have been high. Fill? Thanks for posting your work in FFM.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Cindy Marple on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:36 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I've never heard of a tree-climbing crab before, how interesting! I'm distracted by a couple things- the bright spots on the ground, and the amount of oof tree. I'm thinking somewhat less tree would be better, although you definitely need to have enough to be sure of what you're seeing here. Not sure what you could do about the bg, if you could do something with flash to help that or ?? Anyway a very interesting creature, nice use of a diagonal element in the composition to set him off.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by DC on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:17 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Cool critter. Difficult composition IMO, you've placed him on a powerpoint but I agree with Cindy on a little too much tree, but I'm not sure what else you could have done given the angle you wre shooting at.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

4 posts |