Caribou- the reindeer of North America-Denali-Alaska

Posted by AlexC on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Caribou-Denali-Alaska

One of my most frustrating moments of the trip into Denali, there he stood on the cliff, almost at the end of the park road, with marvelous Forest for a BG and sweet light to boot, The bus would not stop, it just kept going very slowly and even then it was hard to aim via the small window opening, I did the best I could between curses, I only wanted a couple of minutes outside the bus, but it was not to be!!!, If I had a sharp object with me at the time, I would have committed Harakiri, even if it had taken me half a day to do it!!
From what I learned about these animals, is that they are pretty smart, There is one male with a few females in a research center in Anchorage who has been living there for a very long time, On my way back home , I, read an article on the newspaper about this Dude,, Although he lives with a few females and is pampered to death, he jumped the fence and went on the lam after a couple of "wild" females that came to close to his pen, It took three days to finally corral him and pry him away from the wild bunch!!, All along he could have jumped the fence, but never did until the right time came along!!!, You can take the Caribou out of the wild, but you can not take the wild out of the Caribou!!!
D1x, Raw, Lens=400mm afs-f/2.8 + 2X, FL=800mm, Incident metering, 1/800sec SS-f/5.6, EV=-0.3, ISO=400, Auto WB!!
All comments and or reposts are welcome!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by Dennis Olivero on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:13 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Alex
Thanks for another wonderful image from your trip. I am undecided whether or not I enjoy your pictures or your commentary more.. Together they make a marvelous package.. Although this is not the place nor the time, I just don't understand the Denali bus thing.... Thanks for the stories .. Love the fall colors..thats one impressive rack!!!
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by NDCheryl on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:26 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Unfortunately, I do understand the Denali bus thing and I found it VERY frustrating as well. Very nice shot. Thanks for sharing the shot and the story.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Bill Keown on Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:14 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Given all the options you had on the bus an excellent shot.

Bill Keown

by Bill Whala on Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:02 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Wonderful image, Alex. Overcoming the frustrations makes it even sweeter.

8)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by AlexC on Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:27 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Dennis wrote:
I am undecided whether or not I enjoy your pictures or your commentary more.. Together they make a marvelous package..
Dennis, I learn the hard way a very long time ago, that with my looks, I'll be better served by learning how to communicate my thoughts and feelings clearly and in a succinct manner, unless you made the conversation interesting or the compliments attractive, the girls would not give much of an audience, if by chance they started to listen to what I had to say, my luck changed considerably, even if I looked like the Humpback of Notre Dame!! :wink:
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Jill on Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:37 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Alex, There's no mistaking his sex, is there? Outstanding image, as you consistently manage to do, and out of a moving bus is doubly astounding!! I positively adore this image!!! What an enormous rack!!! Details, colors and exposure are all phenomenal. 8) 8) 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by DMcLarty on Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:15 am
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
I like this Alex it really shows the character of the Caribou.

They are a funny bunch of critters (I doubt they are much different than ours) in that they just seem to be within them selves. Not much bothers them not even a bus :wink: they have an ingrown drive to continue to their destination. We have been right in large herds of them and they just keep plodding along.

I really feel//see the movement and concentration of the caribou here.

PS both male and females have antlers at least in our breed.
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by DC on Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:07 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Great shot in difficult circumstances. Well done.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Carol Clarke on Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:00 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Good shot - next time take a dart gun and shoot the tyres on the bus - they would have to stop for a few mins then wouldn't they???

:? :roll: :?
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Rich S on Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:13 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
As always, I enjoy both the shot and the commentary. I'm impressed that you've got a 2x on from a moving bus and still have it reasonably sharp. (Just think what IS would have done here! ;) )

Rich

11 posts |