Shared perch

Posted by Swissblad on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Taken earlier this year - I was intrigued to see some Black headed gulls share a perch with these European pond terrapins (Emys obicularis).

Nikon D500 with Nikkor 500mm PF.

Thanks for the visit - have a great weekend ;)

Posted by:
Swissblad
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:05 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super sighting Sinuhe. An interesting conundrum for both parties with space at a premium.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Swissblad on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:16 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Super sighting Sinuhe.  An interesting conundrum for both parties with space at a premium.
Thank you David - appreciate you stopping by.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:24 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Looks like the turtles have won the day! Nice shot showing shared territory. I have found painted turtles and hooded mergansers sunning on the same log or stone in a local beaver pond. Sweet!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:34 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Terrapins are popping up in all sorts of lakes and ponds over here, with people getting them as pets and then getting bored and releasing them into their local lakes with no thought for the native pond life. It looks like the ones you found feel right at home!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Swissblad on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:09 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Looks like the turtles have won the day! Nice shot showing shared territory. I have found painted turtles and hooded mergansers sunning on the same log or stone in a local beaver pond. Sweet!
Thank you Cindy - your pond sounds wonderful diverse - are the beavers still activ?
They are slowly being reintroduced locally - seen signs of their presence - not spotted any yet though :(

Last edited by Swissblad on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Swissblad on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Terrapins are popping up in all sorts of lakes and ponds over here, with people getting them as pets and then getting bored and releasing them into their local lakes with no thought for the native pond life.  It looks like the ones you found feel right at home!

Carol.
Hi Carol, thank you for raising that important point - we specifically checked when we saw these and they appear to be European pond turtles and not released pets, which are commonly from North America or Asia, and have more distinctive coloured markings eg Yellow bellied slider tortoise.

It's sad that pets are so expendable to some people - releasing them into the wild is really not a good idea, as they can be quite invasive and upset the local eco balance.... :(

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Swissblad wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Looks like the turtles have won the day! Nice shot showing shared territory. I have found painted turtles and hooded mergansers sunning on the same log or stone in a local beaver pond. Sweet!
Thank you Cindy - your pond sounds wonderful diverse - are the beavers still activ?
They are slowly being reintroduced locally - seen signs of their presence - not spotted any yet though :(
Hi Sinuhe

Not sure what you are asking about- I'm guessing the beavers. Yes, they are active right now. They come and go depending on water levels and what they can find to eat. But over the past 30 years or so, they are usually "in residence".  The Canada geese love building their nests on top of the beaver lodge! :) 
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

8 posts |