A Family Portrait

Posted by John Meade on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
While on a recent fishing trip, I was fortunate enough to have my first encounter with otters. I was hesitant about taking my camera in the river since the water was moving swiftly, but the experience turned out to be worth the risk. By the time I had worked my way down the river to their location, the otters were relaxing on the shore. I was able to capture this image as all three returned to the water. After experimenting with this image in both color and B&W, the B&W seemed to suit it better for my personal taste. I hope you like it. 
Nikon D7100, 200-500mm, iso 1000, f/8, 1/500

Last edited by John Meade on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
John Meade
Forum Contributor

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Nice the way that the otters stand out from the BG. It would make a nice vertical, as well, with the one on the left clipped at the shoulder.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:23 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Love their expressions-the white around their faces stand out in B&W, as do their bright eyes. Works very well. I would still like to see them in color...just my bias-I prefer color. It would perhaps be interesting to try just the otters in color and the foliage in B&W.....or maybe not!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:27 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super shot John. Love the eye contact and the treatment.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:46 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Otters make beautiful subjects and are so full of character.  I love the way they group together when sensing someone's presence - like these have done.  I'm afraid the black and white conversion doesn't work for me here, the overall darkness of the frame is just too much.  I love the trio huddled closely as they check you out but the total image then gets lost in the darkness.  I would love to see the natural colour version of this frame, which I feel would really bring them to life in your capable hands.

I hope you know by now that I'm a real fan of your work, John - and I feel this could be so much better in its natural colours.  Just my two pennies worth.  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

5 posts |