Stoat encounter

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
D500, 500 5.6, f/7.1 1/1250, ISO 6400

I was shooting butterflies when I turned around to find this little guy on the steps to my studio. We were both surprised and just stared at each other before it took off like lightening to chase a chipmunk. I wish I'd had time to back up and get the feet, but everything  happened in about 3 seconds. I  think he/she lives under my studio, which is  a shed-like structure. pretty sure it's a stoat, not  a weasel.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by Carol Clarke on Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:22 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Certainly looks to be a stoat, Cindy with that head, the longer tail and black tip. What a lovely surprise and well done you to react quickly enough to get such a lovely image of your little visitor! I love that alert look! If it has taken up residence under your studio you might get lucky again if it doesn't get frightened off.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:36 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Carol Clarke wrote:Certainly looks to be a stoat, Cindy with that head, the longer tail and black tip.   What a lovely surprise and well done you to react quickly enough to get such a lovely image of your little visitor!    I love that alert look!  If it has taken up residence under your studio you might get lucky again if it doesn't get frightened off.

Carol.
Thanks Carol.  They are sure quick! Maybe it likes my piano music? ;)
Here's a fuzzier head but I got the feet
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Swissblad on Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:05 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
What a cute little fellow - definitely looks like a stoat (Mustela erminea) to me.
We had a Pine Marten live in the roof of an old farm house we rented....would regularly peep through the skylight window to see what we were doing.
Hope you get to see your visitor again.

by david fletcher on Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:55 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wow! What a fabulous visitor Cindy! The look is priceless. Thanks for sharing.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:17 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Certainly looks to be a stoat, Cindy with that head, the longer tail and black tip.   What a lovely surprise and well done you to react quickly enough to get such a lovely image of your little visitor!    I love that alert look!  If it has taken up residence under your studio you might get lucky again if it doesn't get frightened off.

Carol.
Thanks Carol.  They are sure quick! Maybe it likes my piano music? ;)
Here's a fuzzier head but I got the feet

Of course its your piano playing!  who wouldn't be charmed by that........  :wink:   It might well be picking up the gentle vibes of you artistic folk in your woodland sanctuary.......... and on top of that it will have some little rodents coming after the fallen seeds from your feeders..... so its a win win for the stoat. 

Just look at those eyes, like two shining black currants, and such pretty little feet!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

6 posts |