Bighorn Kicking Back

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
A Bighorn Ram relaxing on the sagebrush flats south of Taos, NM on July 2.
Nikon D850, 300 f4PF, f10@1/2500 sec.
All C&C welcome. Please click on image. Thanks.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:55 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super capture of this Ram resting. Good to get the habitat too Joe!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:23 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I'm wondering if the original post is too light. I'm having doubts about the monitor adjustments. Here is a darker version. Please let me know which one is better. Thanks.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:25 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
My first thought was 'is this a touch too light?' but then I put it down to the heat and parched terrain at this time of year. Also the detail kicks in so crisply when clicked on, that it is fine for me, Joe. Handsome ram and excellent detail, his horns are in good condition, as are his teeth, makes me think he's quite a young male - or very clever at avoiding head butting conflict! Your darker version is fine too, again shows the excellent detail and makes the grass look greener. So which one is the most accurate picture of what you saw that day? That's how I would decide. Either way its a lovely shot!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:37 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:My first thought was 'is this a touch too light?' but then I put it down to the heat and parched terrain at this time of year. Also the detail kicks in so crisply when clicked on, that it is fine for me, Joe.  Handsome ram and excellent detail, his horns are in good condition, as are his teeth, makes me think he's quite a young male - or very clever at avoiding head butting conflict!  Your darker version is fine too, again shows the excellent detail and makes the grass look greener.  So which one is the most accurate picture of what you saw that day?  That's how I would decide.  Either way its a lovely shot!

Carol.
Yes, it is pretty parched right now. I’m sure my monitor is a bit dark at the moment, since my iPad and phone show the images lighter than my monitor. The true brightness is really between the two images. Thanks for your input. Regarding his age, according to how I read his horns, he looks to be about 6 years old, but I’m not an expert. There is a larger one in the group, but his horns are really broomed. I will post a picture of him soon. He definitely rules the roost!

https://www.gohunt.com/content/skills/other/how-to-accurately-age-bighorn-sheep

Joe

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:39 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Both versions have their merits! The darker version has nice contrast and makes the image seem a little more dramatic. But perhaps the light version tells the real story? Both are excellent!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:My first thought was 'is this a touch too light?' but then I put it down to the heat and parched terrain at this time of year. Also the detail kicks in so crisply when clicked on, that it is fine for me, Joe.  Handsome ram and excellent detail, his horns are in good condition, as are his teeth, makes me think he's quite a young male - or very clever at avoiding head butting conflict!  Your darker version is fine too, again shows the excellent detail and makes the grass look greener.  So which one is the most accurate picture of what you saw that day?  That's how I would decide.  Either way its a lovely shot!

Carol.
Yes, it is pretty parched right now. I’m sure my monitor is a bit dark at the moment, since my iPad and phone show the images lighter than my monitor. The true brightness is really between the two images. Thanks for your input. Regarding his age, according to how I read his horns, he looks to be about 6 years old, but I’m not an expert. There is a larger one in the group, but his horns are really broomed. I will post a picture of him soon. He definitely rules the roost!

https://www.gohunt.com/content/skills/other/how-to-accurately-age-bighorn-sheep

Joe

Yes, its fascinating judging the age by the horn growth, isn't it, just like tree rings year on year.  :)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

7 posts |