Tonights viewing

Posted by david fletcher on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Grab shot whilst I was trying to do a shot for Kim re the Z7II.  Taken FF and as is.  

Z7II and Nikkor Z 100-400 S at 400.  1/2500 F5.6 Iso 2000.

FF and HH as is.  

Still playing around and testing.  Only comments being AF quick, and although I am happy to use the Z7II in Dynamic, wide, or single, I tried Wide and eye and this worked...  Need to think on my feet a bit quicker!!!  

Link to high rez HERE

Thank you for looking and hope all safe.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Swissblad on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:12 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Lovely update, Dave - nice to keep track of your unique visitor.
Tried animal eye AF with our new toy today ....very impressed!

by david fletcher on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:54 pm
david fletcher
Swissblad wrote:Lovely update, Dave - nice to keep track of your unique visitor.
Tried animal eye AF with our new toy today ....very impressed!

Glad you have a new toy..   Fab news and enjoy!

NSN00525

by Cindy Marple on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
She's giving you quite the look! So nice to have a great subject in your garden.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Kim on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:45 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thank you for experimenting with the Z7II David. The results are good. I do have very mixed feelings about the subject though. I live on a farm here in Australia and two nights ago a fox got in the hen house and took 8 little chicks from a batch of 11. We have lost 80% of our chicks to foxes in the past 6 months.
The foxes with their kits do look so cute but they decimate our wildlife.

I have been playing with my Z6II and the AF is pretty quick so I am hopeful the Z7II would be the same.
Thanks for your help.

by david fletcher on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:38 am
david fletcher
Thanks Cindy and Kim. Kim, I understand re the foxes. They can be devils when they get a taste for hens, and sadly, sometimes the solution is terminal for the fox.

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:14 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I want to know why she seems to squint with her left eye?  I've seen her doing it in some of your images, Dave - and its always the same eye - or is she winking at you..... :)

As for Foxes and hens/chicks, I learned as a child - coming from a farming/country background, that if you keep a secure hen house and run, and shut them in the hen house at night, the foxes can't get them.  I can honestly say that several decades later, and having also had a small farm of my own, that by following this advice, neither my older family relations or myself have ever lost any poultry to foxes.  I did have a cow tread on a chick once........ but that was an accident, and I still liked the cow!  :wink:

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:07 am
david fletcher
Carol Clarke wrote:I want to know why she seems to squint with her left eye?  I've seen her doing it in some of your images, Dave - and its always the same eye - or is she winking at you..... :)

As for Foxes and hens/chicks, I learned as a child - coming from a farming/country background, that if you keep a secure hen house and run, and shut them in the hen house at night, the foxes can't get them.  I can honestly say that several decades later, and having also had a small farm of my own, that by following this advice, neither my older family relations or myself have ever lost any poultry to foxes.  I did have a cow tread on a chick once........ but that was an accident, and I still liked the cow!  :wink:

Carol.

She just likes to wink at me Carol....  :D   Part of me thinks its because the eye adjusts to the light as it opens fully when her head is not facing the sun and squinting when that eye catches the sun... Could be an issue though as that eye is more sensitive to light.... 

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:58 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
She is giving you quite a look1 Fun to see all her expressions.  I too wonder about the squint....errr...wink! ;) Looking at older posts though, I see two big round eyes. :)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:05 am
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:She is giving you quite a look1 Fun to see all her expressions.  I too wonder about the squint....errr...wink! ;) Looking at older posts though, I see two big round eyes. :)
Thanks Cindy.  Was watching her last night and the eye were fine.  That squint seems to be more related to the light direction as it's always her left eye catching the sun and I wonder if its just how they adjust.  Older images in my files seem to back that up as when it doesn't catch the light, it is fully opened.

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:13 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Whenever I see your recent fox images it continues to look like she has all the confidence in the world that she has found a safe haven. Hope you continue to get these terrific captures over time.

by david fletcher on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:47 pm
david fletcher
Thank you Warren. It's the strangest and most heart warming experience. Lots and lots of times, she just comes in to the garden and unwinds. Feeding not required. She'll happily let me sit near her, take shots and even lie down to get the low angle shots, taking no notice of me.

A few times, I've shown images of her left eye squinting. I need to research that more but I believe its how they adapt to light direction. (she seems quite normal when both eyes are away from the light, so am on a learning curve).

Now there's the thing... if she wasn't so comfortable, I'd not be in a position to observe what I have so far, so from that point, its been emotionally rewarding.

From a photographic point of view, dream shots might be wonderful woodland settings, sharing their family, rather like those wonderful and inspiring images Ron Day showed. I'd take that.

However, I'm 66, coming on 67 and to be within 2 feet of a wild fox that I met barely 4 months ago, and being able to observe and be able to share moments without any stress is after 20 + years of looking for them and trying to take images, a gold standard result.

My Swahili is moderate, my fox language skills are very poor, but we have acquired an understanding which I hope will continue through the next year. (longevity in the Fox family is poor).

Hope all well and have a lovely weekend.

NSN00525

12 posts |