White-tailed doe

Posted by John Meade on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Nikon D7100, 200-500mm, Iso 1000, F7.1, 1/160

This is my first time photographing something other than birds and also a first time for trying a black and white conversion. I wanted to see what others thought of it. Advice and suggestions are welcome. 

Posted by:
John Meade
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I am perhaps not the best person to give advice on b/w conversions of wildlife photography, John.  I think that nature gives us such a wonderful colour palette, it should be celebrated and not stripped back to black and white.  That said, occasionally someone posts a stunning b/w wildlife photo that even I can appreciate!  Scroll down and look at Marc Mol and his amazing ''Returning Home'' Leopard image in b/w - that should show you what to aspire to. :) 

Your image of the little whitetail doe is a fine example for your first try at wildlife, and b/w.  You don't do things by halves, do you, trying both at once!  You have caught a nice alert pose, with pricked ears, flared nostrils and wide eyed stare as she checks you out, and the detail is excellent where it matters most.  Nice tonal quality as well.

I'm sure we will be seeing more wildlife from you, and I look forward to it!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Excellent capture John. Love the alert pose and attention you have. Nice conversion too!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Carol kind of said it all as far as my thoughts are concerned-I don't relate to B&W in a way that I can give you serious feedback. That said, this looks very good to me! And the pose and expression are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Mary Brun on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:34 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
For my personal taste I also really appreciate photos in B / W of a naturalistic genre,
certainly some images lend themselves better than others to this conversion.
I really like this your image, how you have captured and isolated the subject.
I really like the blurry grass in the foreground of light tone which then gradually fades the image to the very dark background.
Mary
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Ron Day on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A very fine image. The dark background behind the doe sets her off beautifully. And the eye contact could not be better. I like the black and white conversion and feel it works very well in this instance.

by John Meade on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 pm
John Meade
Forum Contributor
Thank you all for commenting on my image and for the input.

7 posts |