Wood Turtle

Posted by ADKShooter on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Nikon D3X, Zeiss 50mm F2.0
ISO 200, 1/500s, F 11.0

After shooting slide film for over 40 years I switched to digital a little over 5 years ago. During one of the first times out with my new (refurbished) camera I went along a stream bed to take a few practice shots and bring them home to make sure I knew how to load them on the computer. What a surprise to see this endangered wood turtle walking down to the shore line. Not only an endangered species but a very nice specimen as well.  I quickly laid down and took some eye level shots, and the rest is history as that was the day I became a convert from film to digital........

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
One of the prettiest turtles I've seen, Warren.  Lovely eye level view and excellent detail of the colours and markings - the shell patterns are beautiful!  The wildflowers complete the frame so well.

Yes, like you, once I tried digital there was no going back to film.  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Fantastic capture. I've tried to find one for years, but they are very rare in Ontario.

by Ron Day on Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Warren, top-notch image. Love the vibrant color!

by david fletcher on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Carol Clarke wrote:One of the prettiest turtles I've seen, Warren.  Lovely eye level view and excellent detail of the colours and markings - the shell patterns are beautiful!  The wildflowers complete the frame so well.

Yes, like you, once I tried digital there was no going back to film.  :) 

Carol.
Ditto that.  Fab Turtle Warren.  Like you, I cut my teeth on Slide film :  (Kodachrome 25 and 64, then Velvia 50).  Difficult to imagine ever going back after sampling digital.  Lovely quality image BTW.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Gorgeous photo! Such a beautiful turtle amongst the wildflowers. Love the paddling foot. ;). The patterns on the shell are so lovely.
A slightly different story....
I used to use film a gazillion years ago. I became sensitized to the smell, and couldn't even put my face up to the camera! (I remember my grandfather developing pictures...and that smell...but it seemed OK when I was 10 years old!).
Digital saved my face, so to speak. And look where it has taken us.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gary Gulash on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:59 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
I very nice image indeed, great look and a low angle with pleasing surroundings.

My journey in digital began with an "incredible" 4 megapixel Nikon Coolpix. There were so many hot pixels and weird colors but I was hooked instantly; saving money on no film processing was addictive. But I felt a little "dirty" somehow for ignoring my lovely film camera, lol. Funny, but at a crossroads again with the new mirrorless fad. But never know when you need 50 megapixels and 30 silent fps for a fast moving situation like you have here.....

by John Spreitzer on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 am
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Great shot of one of my favorite cold blooded critters. Wonderful eye level view!
Used to find these fairly regularly back in the 60’s and 70’s in rural southeastern NY. Sadly, their numbers are greatly reduced and to find them now is a special treat.
John

8 posts |