Long-tailed Weasel with breakfast

Posted by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
I found this guy under heavy forest cover fairly early in the morning. 1/320 sec, ISO 1000, D500, 500mmf5.6 PF. Processed in Capture one, Topaz denoise, and converted to jpg using DXO Photolab trial version(still fiddling with the export function, it might be a bit oversharpened?)

Posted by:
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437

by ADKShooter on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Wow !! Perfect position and environment. After having an encounter with a pine martin I am well aware how quick and elusive the weasel family is to attempt to photograph. Fantastic shot of this guy with prey. On my monitor it apears a bit oversharpened but I'm sure you can play with it if you feel that way as well.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Aren't they the most beautiful creatures.   Such efficient predators and they can move like greased lightning!  I love the classic pose and natural setting you captured here, Scott - who wouldn't love to have a shot like this in their collection.  Wonderful shot and beautifully done!

As for your comment re sharpening, it does appear a tiny bit over, but I also think the fur is damp from running through the undergrowth, which makes it increasingly difficult to get the sharpening just right without getting a slightly 'crunchy' appearance, especially on a subject with the weasel type of fur.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:49 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wonderful sighting Scott.

With Carol and Warren and your own thoughts on the sharpening, but that is merely a minor tickle needed.

Main thing is they are so quick a great opportunity captured. (Sharpening for the Internet is not always that straightforward when trying out different programs.. Are reading glasses needed? Am I looking at the screen from 12 inches, 18 inches? Am I in good light. Am I tired from a long day). All been there.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:41 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A fantastic image of the weasel with prey, Scott. The image is beautifully composed, and I love the natural habitat. Reprocess with less sharpening and you have a winner for sure!

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Agree with all previous comments! Exciting shot-just tome it down a bit.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Agree with all previous comments! Exciting shot-just tome it down a bit.
Thank you. I tried created the jpg from DXO Photolab. I’m using it in the trial version and I don’t have a very good grasp of exporting jpgs yet. I must be missing it as there should be a way to adjust the sharpening on output but I haven’t used it enough yet to figure it out!

by Des on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:03 pm
Des
Forum Contributor
Lovely image, Scott. I agree with you it's a tad over-sharpened.
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by Karl Egressy on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:01 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great action shot, Scott. It looks a little bit over-sharpened as you suspected.

9 posts |