Western Diamond backed Rattlesnake

Posted by mlgray12 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I love photographing snakes - they rarely if ever co-operate
Found this about 4 footer just resting on a rock above a pond on a friend's Ranch - when we approached it slowly went from stretched out warming on the rock to full defensive position and not once did it actually rattle (one suspected reason is ones that rattle get killed by us or eaten by feral hogs) so ones that don't rattle survive
Wish had more depth of field - but I managed to keep both tail and head in focus
Was super fun watching him slowly move into this position - after we left he headed back down into the rocks

D850, 500mm f/5.6 PF at 1/320 sec f/11 at ISO 1600
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

Posted by:
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
You're brave to attempt this! It doesn't look too friendly! Nice to see the whole snake with tongue and rattle. Cool shot!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nice pose and detail of the colours and markings, I wish that tuft of grass wasn't there - but not a sensible spot to do any weed removal!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by mlgray12 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Carol Clarke wrote:Nice pose and detail of the colours and markings, I wish that tuft of grass wasn't there - but not a sensible spot to do any weed removal!

Carol.
If I had a trimer with a minimum of 3' of length - the snake would probably let me cut those without leaving - he was actually appeared pretty calm  ( I use 1/2 of snake length plus  another foot for safety - typical assessment is snake can effectively strike about 1/3 its body length) No real reason to get that closer unless you need to catch the thing - good snake sticks are usually about 3 ft long- Would think twice about using a 3 ft snake stick if it was one of the Diamondbacks that get over 7 feet long - Not sure I am that brave
Thanks for your comments
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Ron Day on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Excellent pose and detail, Michael. And good timing to catch the tongue out.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
mlgray12 wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Nice pose and detail of the colours and markings, I wish that tuft of grass wasn't there - but not a sensible spot to do any weed removal!

Carol.
If I had a trimer with a minimum of 3' of length - the snake would probably let me cut those without leaving - he was actually appeared pretty calm  ( I use 1/2 of snake length plus  another foot for safety - typical assessment is snake can effectively strike about 1/3 its body length) No real reason to get that closer unless you need to catch the thing - good snake sticks are usually about 3 ft long- Would think twice about using a 3 ft snake stick if it was one of the Diamondbacks that get over 7 feet long - Not sure I am that brave
Thanks for your comments

Very interesting information, Michael.  Thanks !  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Gene Gwin on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:47 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Michael,
Interesting, in South Texas I've never seen one that did not rattle at some point. Once they know you're there, you're not a threat, and they're not agitated, they rarely if ever rattle. It's interesting how docile some Rattlesnakes are. It's a real shame, at least in Texas, that they have Rattlesnake roundups. A nice image.

7 posts |