Big boy

Posted by DannyLaredo on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Image taken at a waterhole not to far from the lodge at Erindi game reserve.

1Dx 500mm+TC 1.4 ISO2500 1/2500 F7.1

All c&c welcomed.
[i][b]Danny Laredo.

www.dannylaredo.com

[/b][/i]

Posted by:
DannyLaredo
Forum Contributor

by Ed Cordes on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:19 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Excellent dramatic image of this guy. B&W works well; shows the drama.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by david fletcher on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:25 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super framing Danny
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:48 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A very evocative image of this big boy, Danny.  On the one hand his broken off tusks should mean the poachers would not want to bother with him, but on the other hand it would impede his foraging to a certain extent without the extra grip the tusks would give him in bringing down branches etc to feed on, and he would be at a disadvantage in a fight.  Although I still wouldn't argue with him!  The black and white conversion adds drama.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by DannyLaredo on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:50 am
DannyLaredo
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:A very evocative image of this big boy, Danny.  On the one hand his broken off tusks should mean the poachers would not want to bother with him, but on the other hand it would impede his foraging to a certain extent without the extra grip the tusks would give him in bringing down branches etc to feed on, and he would be at a disadvantage in a fight.  Although I still wouldn't argue with him!  The black and white conversion adds drama.

Carol.

i'v never seen so many elephants with broken tusks as I have seen in Namibia. 
Even in Etosha, plenty of them have broken tusks.
[i][b]Danny Laredo.

www.dannylaredo.com

[/b][/i]

by Carol Clarke on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
DannyLaredo wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:A very evocative image of this big boy, Danny.  On the one hand his broken off tusks should mean the poachers would not want to bother with him, but on the other hand it would impede his foraging to a certain extent without the extra grip the tusks would give him in bringing down branches etc to feed on, and he would be at a disadvantage in a fight.  Although I still wouldn't argue with him!  The black and white conversion adds drama.

Carol.

I was reading reports that said the same thing, Danny.  It appears that with the harsher conditions they fight over everything in Namibia. With the dry climate and limited water supplies, they even fight over that resulting in bulls with broken tusks.  I also wonder if the shortage of water in their diet might contribute to their tusks being more brittle and more likely to break, rather than the elephants that have more access to water and a relatively richer diet in other African countries.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by DannyLaredo on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 pm
DannyLaredo
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:
DannyLaredo wrote:

Carol.

I was reading reports that said the same thing, Danny.  It appears that with the harsher conditions they fight over everything in Namibia. With the dry climate and limited water supplies, they even fight over that resulting in bulls with broken tusks.  I also wonder if the shortage of water in their diet might contribute to their tusks being more brittle and more likely to break, rather than the elephants that have more access to water and a relatively richer diet in other African countries.

Carol.
Yeah it think it is safe to assume that.
Also, for whatever reason, they just seemed bigger in Namibia. Some really big male Elephants.
[i][b]Danny Laredo.

www.dannylaredo.com

[/b][/i]

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Very dramatic contrasts make this work very well in B&W.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

8 posts |