Otter II

Posted by david fletcher on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Bit of a wider view, but in some ways I prefer this.  Different feel, different story.   The Otter had clearly clocked me.  Happily not too alarmed but did change course after another 5 meters.   Shot FF.  D7100 and 70-200 F2.8II.  

Please feel free to view uncompressed.  My thanks for your time, your thoughts and best wishes for Xmas.

Just FYI, the first image of this Otter I posted Here, last post!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hmmm- nice water...you get more otter body, but I prefer the first one, I think, as a more intimate view....(if you can say you are intimate with an otter...). I think this has too much dark as well. But...it's still a really nice capture. It tells some more of the story.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:55 am
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Hmmm- nice water...you get more otter body, but I prefer the first one, I think, as a more intimate view....(if you can say you are intimate with an otter...). I think this has too much dark as well. But...it's still a really nice capture. It tells some more of the story.
Thanks Cindy.  Appreciate the honest feedback.  Don't forget to look at your emails...  :)  Have a good Xmas

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:59 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
As part of a sequence this would be fine, but as a stand alone, I find the image overwhelmingly dark. The dark water (because there is so much more of it) seems to overpower the otter. Just my two pennies worth, Dave. I don't know if lightening the water would help, or maybe taking a slice off bottom and left side, but when you do that it becomes more like the first one.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:56 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Dave, I respect the views of Cindy and Carol, but I pick this image of the two. I prefer the sharpness in this image because the sharpness of the previous image looks a bit crunchy. And I like the composition of this image because the otter is entering the frame on a diagonal and has plenty of room to swim into and across the frame. I’m not bothered by the darkness of the water. It simply appears like a low light situation with nice highlights. Just my opinion. Well done!

by david fletcher on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:37 am
david fletcher
Thanks Ron and Carol. Always appreciate your thoughts and comments. Happy Xmas to you all.

NSN00525

by Des on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:43 am
Des
Forum Contributor
This is much better IMO. The other looks too tight. Good job in getting a shot of this elusive mammal.
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by david fletcher on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:17 pm
david fletcher
Thanks Des.  Appreciated.  Good to get feedback and appreciate all the differing views and thoughts put in.  

Social media sites like impact, whilst I prefer telling a story with space, so between a rock and a hard place on these, LOL, other than a good sighting and experience. 

And sometimes it's a good thing to show what you shared, rather than try to do a headline shot.   (Makes NSN a good place to be).

NSN00525

8 posts |