Polar bear - close up

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Getting this close on land is just a big NO NO and so the only two options are from a zodiac or from ship and this is taken from our ship which is incredibly small allowing some good, yet safe opportunities. This is shot throw one of the bow line portal hole. If I had realised that this young bear was going to venture so close then the 24-70f/2.8 would not have been so far away, but you have to make the best of what you have at the time. Also quite often folk make the mistake that in Svalbard it's always bright and don't check their Histograms, as condition can change in an instant and so to achieve some decent techs I had to push the ISO to 5000, not a problem here, but again, some folk are hesitant to push things where they shouldn't be with current camera bodies. 

Normally I would not change format ie landscape to portrait as you loose IQ and data, this is why you need to think what format best suits your capture and stick to it. However, here at this size, IQ is not a problem, but printing big could be and so hammering pixels because you got the format wrong is never ideal. On reflection I much preferred the tighter crop and strong diagonal lines, yes perhaps having the whole foot in may have been better, but not essential as it's the head I wanted and that fixed gaze. Being so close f/11 worked with good detail, texture and definition where it needs to be.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear close up (Ursus maritimus) 
Camera: Canon 5DIV 
Lens: 100-400f4.5 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/11 ISO5000
Original format: Landscape, cropped portrait top to bottom.
Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Carol Clarke on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A very nice close up head shot, Steve. I do like it, but I am not seeing the fine detail I expected. Maybe its just me - its been a long day.....

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:44 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Pretty amazing to get this close-up- and what an expression! I like seeing those fuzzy ears. I'd be tempted to crop out the toes rather than have half a foot, but I guess that would put the nose down pretty far. I do like the diagonal composition very much. I think you did well, given the circumstances.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
'I do like it, but I am not seeing the fine detail I expected. Maybe its just me - its been a long day.....'

Thanks Carol, but based on a 1024px perhaps it's hard to see perhaps the finer detail, but then it at ISO5000 and at a greater ISO than most folk post here, but as you say - it's been a long day.  :)

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
I'd be tempted to crop out the toes rather than have half a foot, but I guess that would put the nose down pretty far.

I think it would Cynthia and the IQ would, to a degree suffer.

by Gary Gulash on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:14 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
I like the composition, nice diagonals and strong lines befitting the subject.

by clement on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 pm
clement
Forum Contributor
Man this looks a piece of art of great value..

7 posts |