Young Lion In Profile

Posted by Ed Cordes on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
I am still learning B&W conversions.  Here is another 2010 image from Tanzania converted from color.  Shot with 1D4 and 100-400 version 1. It was reprocessed from the original RAW file using modern techniques the converted mostly using channels, and curves.  Turning down the green channel really allowed me to get separation for the background. I often give the color version as a gift to special fellow members of Lions Club International when they visit our area.  Thanks for clicking to see uncompressed version.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

Posted by:
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700

by Steve Kaluski on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
Hi Ed, nice portrait and good call in looking at an alternative medium to portray the image in.

B/W is totally different to colour because its all bout 'Tonal range' of one colour, Black to White, with shade in between and often distracting elements can be lost within the conversion to B/W. For me, you have to shoot in B/W (easy to do these days) as only then can you truly see if it works or not on the LED screen. You may find 'double processing' the image via Smart Objects helps, although agree on using the Green Channel which offers greater contrast, but as presented the sharpening I feel is clashing with the 'B/W contrast' of the image and so it takes on a slight coarseness, therefore backing off on one of those elements may help? Having a darker backdrop is great and so the subject for me needs less of the darker elements creating more standout and highlighting the detail captured.

The image when clicked on is going to the full 1280px, should it Ed?

TFS
Steve

by david fletcher on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:48 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Thanks for sharing your B&W journey with us Ed. Wonderful thing about PS and our "art" is that there are many differing routes to the end result. One person's preferences, may not be yours and whilst we are all happy to chip in, sometimes sticking to your "vision", certainly as your style develops, is ultimately the most rewarding path.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ed Cordes on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:14 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks Steve and David for commenting. I greatly appreciate the input you both gave. I generally agree that too much sharpness and contrast tends to make the image harsh. So, Steve, I understand your POV. David, thanks for recognizing that the "vision" might be different. I designed this image to be striking at first glance. The fur in the coat has details and shading creating a "chiseled" look. The mane is shall we say one of the main features. Yes, this lion is young, but the mane really stands out. I did emphasize the highlighted fur to give it a crunchy look. To my mind, this emphasizes the strength of the lion. The image will be used to attract people to the mission and hands on the humanitarian and community service work of the International Association of Lions Clubs (Lions Clubs International) of which I am a senior member. Hopefully, the image will be striking enough to make a difference.

Again, I greatly appreciate and value the input given. I just wanted to take a moment to explain my vision for the image.

by david fletcher on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Ed Cordes wrote:Thanks Steve and David for commenting.  I greatly appreciate the input you both gave.  I generally agree that too much sharpness and contrast tends to make the image harsh.  So, Steve, I understand your POV.  David, thanks for recognizing that the "vision" might be different.  I designed this image to be striking at first glance.  The fur in the coat has details and shading creating a "chiseled" look. The mane is shall we say one of the main features.  Yes, this lion is young, but the mane really stands out.  I did emphasize the highlighted fur to give it a crunchy look.   To my mind, this emphasizes the strength of the lion.  The image will be used to attract people to the mission and hands on the humanitarian and community service work of the International Association of Lions Clubs (Lions Clubs International) of which I am a senior member.  Hopefully, the image will be striking enough to make a difference.

Again, I greatly appreciate and value the input given.  I just wanted to take a moment to explain my vision for the image.
and a fitting and striking image it is for the mission Ed.  All the best.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A strong and instantly recognisable subject, captured and portrayed in a powerful and dramatic image. A picture that has an undoubted appeal and a compelling mood to draw the viewer towards your vision of support for the Lions Clubs. I definitely think you have achieved what you set out to do with this one, Ed. It works for me! Well done!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ed Cordes on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:50 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Wow! I just saw the email saying this image received Editor's Pick designation. Thank you so much for this honor. The learning curve to create B&W is fun. I do think it ironic that many of us started in photography shooting old Tir-X or Pan-X and developing and printing it in our bathrooms with an old Durst portable enlarger. B&W today seems much more involved; but at least it doesn't involve all the wet chemicals and hanging prints in the shower to dry! Thanks again for the honor of Editor's Pick.

by Paul Rossi on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm
Paul Rossi
Forum Contributor
Reminds me of a print of a fine pencil drawing I have (and love) of a Lynx that a talented friend did. Really nice.
Paul Rossi personal website: https://paulrossibirds.com/
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What I like about this is the sense of power and majesty of a beautiful animal. The black background really sets it off-well done!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

9 posts |