Inquisitive Polar Bear

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Here is a young Polar bear that was rather inquisitive with our presence. Hopefully this also shows/illustrates some of the pack ice we had to sail through, but the Polar bears live for. Sadly this is diminishing oh so quickly and where it pushes the bears further a field to hunt and try to survive on less nutritious food stocks compared to the staple diet of Seal.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting. click to see a larger version.

Steve

Subject: Young Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) on the pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII (CPL Drop in filter)
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO800 
Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top FF width
Processed via: LR Classic release 9 & PS2020

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Carol Clarke on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A lovely inquisitive look this handsome youngster is giving you, Steve, and this angle really shows the size of those amazing front paws. Another very nice and thought provoking image from your Svalbard trips.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ed Cordes on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:59 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Steve, I really like this image. It shows what you intended and is well exposed. White on white is hard. A small suggestion would be to crop so that less is shown on the top of the frame allowing the bear to appear more at eye level to the viewer. Perhaps cropping down to the bottom of the dark area of snow on top? Just a minor suggestion on a great image.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Steve Kaluski on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
Hi Ed, absolutely no problem about suggestions, bring then on, as that to me is what a Forum is all about. To ask questions, share thoughts, express views etc has far more meaning, more so, than just that phrase - 'great image', pat on the back which means nothing these days as it's so over used. It's also a great way to learn and offer thoughts of improvement and sometimes we can easily miss the obvious because we are so wrapped up in our imagery.

Cropping is oh so personal, however, there are times where suggestions really do help the image. I can see where you are going and yes loosing some off the top may indeed improve the image, because of the dark areas, but my worry is that it all starts to get too tight and so the subject has little space in which to 'breath'. Often folk hammer the hell out of an image because they crop so tight, loosing IQ and if you try to print, there would not be enough data to render a good quality print. The other point for me, is that in some way I feel helps define/illustrate to folk who have not been here, the environment, where you have this undulating platform of peaks, crevasses, whites and dark shades of Aqua.

I appreciate you raising the question and hope you ask many more in the future.  :)

Cheers
Steve

4 posts |