A Bambi Moment

Posted by david fletcher on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Taken this morning.  Been trying to crack/track Fallow deer.  Not Park deer that sit nicely, but those in the woods that run a mile and know where you are 30 mins before you arrive.  

Well, did my stalk.  Colder day in the UK.  Some frost at last..  Struggled to find Deer in the shadows and logically sought out the hillside in the sun as they were there, warming up.  

Spotted Mum and this Fawn and did the walk past and back track so cover and wind in my favour.  Did real well for a bit.  Got rumbled in the end.  Poss' camera noise.  Probably not though.  (Can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all, all of the time...LOL).  

Anyway, this one looked at me for nearly 5 minutes.  Amazing how they can stare that long.  Decided I wasn't of interest or a threat.  (My ego was crushed immediately).  and then moved on.  (not before I got the breath steaming though).  

D850.  Sigma Sport 150-600 at 600.  1/160 F8 at Iso 1000.  Monopod.  

Please feel free to view uncompressed.  Thank you for looking and your thoughts.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Interesting tilt head view of this youngster.  Nice colors and detail. Good story, but reminds me why I seldom shoot animals that are not habituated. Too much work!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Carol Clarke on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Lovely inquisitive pose from this fawn, no doubt wondering what the handsome human was doing creeping around in the undergrowth..........
:wink: 

Nicely done, Dave.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Dave, I appreciate the effort you put into stalking these deer while completely camouflaged. I have done it myself, with truly wild deer, and it is not easy. So my hat is off to you. The inquisitive look you captured here is priceless. And the background habitat provides a wonderful scene. Another very fine stalking image to add to this great series. :D

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am
david fletcher
All, just a quick thanks for your thoughts.  Appreciated.  Totally get your thoughts Joe and Ron and Carol.,

Just thought to share this as its probably common to all.  Somedays, everything falls into place.  OMG, I'm a god!   Nah!  That didn't happen. This one, was a stunning light morning and no subjects.  So inconsiderate.  Having worked it out what was happening, I did sight 4 deer .  (I'm on a bank and a valley opposite where the deer using the morning sun to warm up).  Down I went, along and then up and back to carry out the stalk.  Got there in the end.  Changed my gloves from cold to light but in the end, all worked fine and was pleased with the interaction.

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:33 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
All your careful work really paid off, Dave. Just a wonderfully sweet capture with that inquisitive look in glowing light. Can't stop looking at this-it's just so endearing and spellbinding-that 5 minute stare. how lovely to have experienced this and we all benefit from the result. Thanks for keeping the wonder in your work.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:42 am
david fletcher
Thanks Cindy. Appreciated.

NSN00525

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm
david fletcher
SantaFeJoe wrote:Interesting tilt head view of this youngster.  Nice colors and detail. Good story, but reminds me why I seldom shoot animals that are not habituated. Too much work!!!

Joe

Did chuckle when I read that Joe.  I'll be honest in admitting my mood darkened when I realised what I  needed to do to just get a chance of these.  1st world problem.  So cracked on.  Must admit I do have a child like pleasure in spotting and walking with deer which does go back to my childhood.  Always felt a privilege to see into their world and as I age, it's nice to see more.  

NSN00525

8 posts |