Howler Monkeys

Posted by Cindy Marple on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Howler Monkey mama and young
Nikon D500, 500mm + 1.4X
ISO2000, 1/250, f/8

On the last day of our tour we finally came across Howler Monkeys in a spot we could photograph them.  A male, presumably papa, was in a nearby tree.  It was nice that these 2 sat in a reasonably open spot for quite a while.  Rainforest lighting is not the easiest to deal with...
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

Posted by:
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038

by Steve Kaluski on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
I like the pose/framing Cindy and the shooting angle isn't too steep, but I can't help feel the camera's metering has been fooled by the BKG and so the subjects are thrown more into shadow, concealing a lot of very nice detail and clarity.

TFS
Steve

by david fletcher on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:36 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Looks like you've been having a good trip Cindy. Lots of detail showing when viewed large. Tricky lighting as you mentioned. Me, I'm not a fan of opening up shadow detail too much as a) it looks false, and b) light and shade make an image and define shape.. like as presented
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cindy Marple on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Steve Kaluski wrote:I like the pose/framing Cindy and the shooting angle isn't too steep, but I can't help feel the camera's metering has been fooled by the BKG and so the subjects are thrown more into shadow, concealing a lot of very nice detail and clarity.

TFS
Steve

Thanks for the inputs.  This was shot in manual exposure mode and we had enough time with them that I was able to check histograms and make sure I was getting all the data.  Actually as shot the monkeys are a bit over-exposed (expose-to-the-right) and was brought down, along with highlights, in post.  I may have gone a bit too far, although they are very dark monkeys, and they were in deep shade so there is some loss of detail.  Dark fur or feathers in low light is a really tough combination for getting crisp detail. 
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Ron Day on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Cindy, agree with your decision to shoot in manual mode and to expose to the right within the histogram. Under these challenging rainforest conditions, I feel you did very well. I love the poses and details. And large view is a treat.

by Steve Kaluski on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:16 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
'I may have gone a bit too far, although they are very dark monkeys, and they were in deep shade so there is some loss of detail.  Dark fur or feathers in low light is a really tough combination for getting crisp detail.'

Hi Cindy, I might suggest if you have the time, that you 'double process' the image in this case and so you get the best of both worlds in terms of Subject & Environment. In addition, just be mindful that if you have processed the raw via LR it does, behind the scenes, add additional Contrast which is not ideal where subjects are as dark as they are with fine detail. 

Cheers
Steve

by Carol Clarke on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I agree it would be nice to have a wee bit more detail in the dark fur, but when you click on the image for the uncompressed view I think you did very well in these conditions under the tree canopy, and came up with a lovely image of these two characters, Cindy! It works well for me.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:42 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Aside from all the comments on exposure, I do love their expressions and "attitudes". They look much better uncompressed.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Robert Sabin on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:55 am
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Looks like you've been having a good trip Cindy.  Lots of detail showing when viewed large.  Tricky lighting as you mentioned.  Me, I'm not a fan of opening up shadow detail too much as a) it looks false, and b) light and shade make an image and define shape..  like as presented
Good Job!

by Paul Rossi on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 pm
Paul Rossi
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Looks like you've been having a good trip Cindy.  Lots of detail showing when viewed large.  Tricky lighting as you mentioned.  Me, I'm not a fan of opening up shadow detail too much as a) it looks false, and b) light and shade make an image and define shape..  like as presented
I agree.  Nice balanced background.
Paul Rossi personal website: https://paulrossibirds.com/
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

by clement on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:17 am
clement
Forum Contributor
How cute they both are.. Superb one Cindy

11 posts |