Elephants at Samburu

Posted by clement on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Ewaso Nyiro River and the Elephants.. this river is the life blood of that desert environment..
D5, 70-200mm f2.8
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ISO 400, f11, 1/2000 shutters.[/font]
Samburu, Kenya

Posted by:
clement
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:41 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Lovely scenic view and framing Clement. Makes you want to go there!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Well composed elephantscape, Clement and you have caught mother and calf taking a drink.  It looks like there isn't much water left in the river at this point after the prolonged drought of the last few years, and I understand the rains this year have been well below what was required to ease the shortage of water on the parched earth.  The wildlife and native people are all affected and suffer the effects of this ongoing situation.

I don't know when this was taken, but in the present circumstances a very poignant image.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
A lovely scene. I like that you captured the mom and calf in similar poses drinking, as it adds to the story.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Ron Day on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The environment and habitat make all the difference in this lovely image, Clement. Terrific elephantscape!

by clement on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 pm
clement
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Well composed elephantscape, Clement and you have caught mother and calf taking a drink.  It looks like there isn't much water left in the river at this point after the prolonged drought of the last few years, and I understand the rains this year have been well below what was required to ease the shortage of water on the parched earth.  The wildlife and native people are all affected and suffer the effects of this ongoing situation.

I don't know when this was taken, but in the present circumstances a very poignant image.

Carol.

This was photographed in 2017 when Samburu and surrounding northern deserts were going through one bad drought for almost 2 years.
Everything out there was bone dry and animals were suffering, dying (we saw at least 20 or more dead elephants and many many more Biesa Oryx dead) and we could see a shift in animal behavior, want to share here one particular one was the Vulturine Guinea fowl was seen feeding on leaves of trees at around 20 foot in the air, which never happens, they are ground birds.. But amazing thing was that once we left Samburu in the next 2 weeks, it received huge rains and the entire place turned to Green, and few tented resorts also got washed away. 

by DChan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Errrr...I think it's tilted. Like the sky.

by Debapratim Saha on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:44 am
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Wow!! A dream elephant-scape Anna,standing ovation.
Photography is the only solace in life

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Such beauty! Carol's comments make this into something even more meaningful. Amazing sky- glad to hear it finally rained...back then.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

9 posts |