fbpixel

Crab Eater Seal


Posted by rbrown10 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Image

7D Mark2 :  1.4x converter, 560mm, 1/400, f/8, ISO 500

User avatar
Posted by:
rbrown10
Forum Contributor

Member #:01968
Posts: 215
Joined: 25 Jan 2014

   

by Carol Clarke on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:18 pm
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 59315
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Bucks, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
A very striking portrait, well worth a click to see the exquisite detail in the uncompressed view - like the little curl in the whiskers.  :) 

This one must have been eating a large amount of krill, or its a very pregnant female!  Excellent image, well done!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

by Ron Day on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:27 pm
User avatar
Ron Day
Moderator
Posts: 11891
Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Member #:00819
Striking, indeed. The detail is amazing. Well done!
 

by rbrown10 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 pm
User avatar
rbrown10
Forum Contributor
Posts: 215
Joined: 25 Jan 2014
Member #:01968
Carol Clarke wrote:
A very striking portrait, well worth a click to see the exquisite detail in the uncompressed view - like the little curl in the whiskers.  :) 

This one must have been eating a large amount of krill, or its a very pregnant female!  Excellent image, well done!

Carol.


Hi Carol:  Thanks for the kudos. I was told that the rust color on his/her face is from rooting around for crabs on the bottom which is iron rich
 

by Carol Clarke on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:21 am
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 59315
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Bucks, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
rbrown10 wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:
A very striking portrait, well worth a click to see the exquisite detail in the uncompressed view - like the little curl in the whiskers.  :) 

This one must have been eating a large amount of krill, or its a very pregnant female!  Excellent image, well done!

Carol.


Hi Carol:  Thanks for the kudos. I was told that the rust color on his/her face is from rooting around for crabs on the bottom which is iron rich



The only problem with that is that they don't eat crabs.  They have specially adapted teeth (each tooth has five points), with interlocking upper and lower rows which form a strainer, allowing them to swim through the water with their mouth open, taking in krill, which is then filtered through their teeth.  90% of their diet is krill, the other 10% made up of fish and squid.

Maybe this one was looking on the bottom for squid, I know they like to hide down there.  :wink: 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

by david fletcher on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm
User avatar
david fletcher
Lifetime Member
Posts: 19345
Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Location: UK
Member #:00525
Striking portrait ! Wonderful detail when viewed large!
Make your life spectacular!
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 am
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 12795
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
What a great close view. Does it like to curl it's "mustache"? ;). Love the angle of view.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
7 posts | 

People Who Like This:
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group